Fermi Telescope Spots Giant Explosion in Space

In summary: Yeah I don't think this particular one would be visible to the naked eye though, seeing as it's ~13B ly away.I remember in my science class back , my teacher would say stuff like , star wars has very little true facts about science, their is no sound of explosion ins space. THen amake a relevant connection to todays pop culture like Star Wars....This was a gamma ray burst, so unless your eyes are sensitive to gamma rays...If you release several hundred times the total lifetime energy of the sun in a few minutes in Gamma rays you are going to light up the sky in every waveband.
Saturni
Friday Febury 20th, 2009.
NASA's Fermi telescope has spotted an massive and gigantic explosion in space which is detected to be roughly the largest gamma-ray burst ever.
The blast put off three to five thousand billion times that of visible light.
Scientists believe that the blast occurred about 12.2 light years away from Earth.
Amazing, isn't it?

-Derek

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Could you give a reference? The distance looks much too close.

Probably missed a billion there, because to the best of my knowledge, I am not dead.

http://www.sciencecodex.com/nasas_fermi_telescope_sees_most_extreme_gammaray_blast_yet

Hey, what's a factor of 10^9 between friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nabeshin said:
Probably missed a billion there, because to the best of my knowledge, I am not dead.
I think your mixed up, this news is from NASA, I directly read this over roughly fifteen times, I even created a report for my project at school on it. I have not typoed anything, nor have I left out a "billion".

-Derek

Saturni said:
I think your mixed up, this news is from NASA, I directly read this over roughly fifteen times, I even created a report for my project at school on it. I have not typoed anything, nor have I left out a "billion".

-Derek

Nabeshin said:
Oh yes, Sorry, I did make an mistake.
Wow, I must be tired tonight.
Yes, I did typo. 12.2 billion lightyears away.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
-Derek

mathman said:
Could you give a reference? The distance looks much too close.

Yes, I typoed.

The correct calculation is 12.2 billion lightyears away.
Sorry for the misunderstanding,
-Derek.

Saturni said:

-Derek

Even if it was directly from NASA, I would still say they're wrong :smile:

but it certainly would be interesting to have such a peculiar object which made that GRB only 12,2 ly away (well, not mentioning the Earth sterilisation side-effect...)

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I reported a large single light in the sky to the Astronomy group that night it was very bright and increased in size to about the size of a quarter then shrank down to about the size of a pencil eraser then slowly went out. I never heard anything from them back as to what it was. I was right I though it was a huge explosion in space. I wish they had emailed me and told me I was not crazy. Again Thank you thank you thank you. I hate to say it but I smoke and my family does not let me smoke in the house so I go out at all times of the night which is why I was out side when I saw the fireball very late at night.

taxman said:
Thank you Thank you Thank you. I reported a large single light in the sky to the Astronomy group that night it was very bright and increased in size to about the size of a quarter then shrank down to about the size of a pencil eraser then slowly went out. I never heard anything from them back as to what it was. I was right I though it was a huge explosion in space. I wish they had emailed me and told me I was not crazy. Again Thank you thank you thank you. I hate to say it but I smoke and my family does not let me smoke in the house so I go out at all times of the night which is why I was out side when I saw the fireball very late at night.

This was a gamma ray burst, so unless your eyes are sensitive to gamma rays...

Nabeshin said:
This was a gamma ray burst, so unless your eyes are sensitive to gamma rays...
If you release several hundred times the total lifetime energy of the sun in a few minutes in Gamma rays you are going to light up the sky in every waveband.

Although only the nearest GRBs are naked eye objects eg GRB080319B

mgb_phys said:
If you release several hundred times the total lifetime energy of the sun in a few minutes in Gamma rays you are going to light up the sky in every waveband.

Although only the nearest GRBs are naked eye objects eg GRB080319B

Yeah I don't think this particular one would be visible to the naked eye though, seeing as it's ~13B ly away.

I remember in my science class back , my teacher would say stuff like , star wars has very little true facts about science, their is no sound of explosion ins space. THen amake a relevant connection to todays pop culture like Star Wars. XD

learningisfun said:
I remember in my science class back , my teacher would say stuff like , star wars has very little true facts about science, their is no sound of explosion ins space. THen amake a relevant connection to todays pop culture like Star Wars. XD

Well, I've heard a hiss and crackle noise at exactly the same time that I saw a meteor, which seemed scientifically impossible after I thought about it, as the sound should take minutes to reach me. However, I later found that that this is a widely known effect, and there's a theory that meteors induce intense radio waves around audible frequencies and these can in turn induce vibrations in materials, causing corresponding sounds to be emitted locally. This same idea could therefore be used as a scientifically plausible excuse for being able to hear distant explosions in space (but I still don't think you'd hear a GRB from 13 billion years ago).

The 'nothing' in intergalactic space means it is an exceedingly poor medium for sound wave propogation. The crackle pop of a meteor is not surprising. They ionize and push shock waves through the atmosphere resulting in sound and em waves,

It might just be that I overlooked it, but, does anyone know what caused the explosion and what it was that exploded?

12.2 billion light years, isn't that about the age of the universe?

Division said:
It might just be that I overlooked it, but, does anyone know what caused the explosion and what it was that exploded?
It was a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) these are probably very early high mass (and so short lived) stars collapsing and forming black holes.

PBS's NOVA broadcast an episode on the discovery of these large gamma ray bursts and the 30 year long puzzle on what was causing them. Several interesting points in the episode that I doubt would be appear in the relevant papers:
  • original detection via a 1967 satellite to look for gamma ray signatures of nuclear detonations
  • first hypothesis they were coming from inside the galaxy ('had' to be because the energy was so large the source would exceed even e=mc^2 possibilities if it were outside the galaxy)
  • proposal that the GRB were actually coming from all over the sky, not just the galactic plane, and thus outside the galaxy, author is derided.
  • proposal that the GRB stems from a small angular beam of radiation from a black hole, versus the previous isotropic radiation idea, allows e=mc^2 sources back in.
  • realization that these huge GRBs would light up gasses in the visible spectrum leads to world wide on the fly searches to observe the visible spectrum simultaneously with the GRB, success.
  • observation in visible spectrum allows red shift determination and thus distance measurement, events are coming from the 'edge' of, i.e. the early universe (luckily for us) making the energy released at the source by far the largest of known cosmic events.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2901_gamma.html

1. What is the Fermi Telescope and what does it do?

The Fermi Telescope is a space observatory designed to study gamma-ray emissions from celestial objects. It is named after Italian physicist Enrico Fermi and was launched by NASA in 2008.

2. What is the significance of the "giant explosion" spotted by the Fermi Telescope?

The "giant explosion" refers to a gamma-ray burst (GRB) that was detected by the Fermi Telescope. GRBs are the most powerful explosions in the universe, releasing huge amounts of energy in a matter of seconds. This particular GRB is significant because it was one of the brightest and longest gamma-ray bursts ever observed.

3. How far away was the explosion and what caused it?

The explosion was located about 7.5 billion light-years away from Earth. The cause of the explosion is still unknown, but it is believed to be the result of a massive star collapsing into a black hole or the collision of two neutron stars.

4. What can we learn from this discovery?

This discovery provides valuable insights into the nature of gamma-ray bursts and the processes that lead to these powerful explosions. It also helps us better understand the evolution of galaxies and the role of black holes in the universe.

5. How does the Fermi Telescope detect gamma-ray bursts?

The Fermi Telescope uses a gamma-ray burst monitor (GBM) to detect and study these high-energy explosions. The GBM consists of 14 detectors that cover a wide range of energies and provide detailed information about the gamma-ray bursts, such as their duration, intensity, and spectral properties.