Quantum Physics - Probabilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the probability that a positively charged Helium ion, created from a tritium atom undergoing beta emission, will be found in its ground state. The conversation provides the ground state energy eigenfunction and the ground state energy of a hydrogenic atom, but is unsure how to set up the probability calculation. The expert suggests considering the number of electrons in tritium and the helium ion product to understand the states of helium.
jazznaz

Homework Statement

A tritium atom is in the ground state and undergoes beta emission, creating a positively charged Helium ion. Assuming the nuclear change is instantaneous and there are no recoil effects, calculate the probability that the Helium ion will be found in its ground state...

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already shown that the form of the ground state energy eigenfunction is:

[tex]\psi (r) = \sqrt{\frac{Z^{3}}{\pi a_{0}^{3}}} e^{-\frac{Zr}{a_{0}}}[/tex]

where Z is the nuclear charge and [tex]a_{0}[/tex] is the Bohr radius.

I know that the ground state energy for a hydrogenic atom is [tex]E_{1}= 13.6[/tex] eV.

However, despite looking through my notes and a few books, I can't seem to set up the required probability calculation.

Any help or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not exactly sure how I would do this either, but I think I have an idea behind what the question is trying to say. If someone else can spot my reply as being wrong, tell him so I don't point him in the wrong direction. Let me ask you this: how many electrons does tritium have? How many does the helium ion product have then? What does this tell you about the states of helium? Post again if you are still confused!

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It explains how matter and energy interact and behave on a microscopic level, where classical physics laws do not apply.

2. What is the role of probabilities in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, probabilities play a crucial role in describing the behavior and interactions of particles. Unlike classical physics, where the behavior of particles can be determined with certainty, quantum particles behave probabilistically, meaning their exact location and state cannot be predicted.

3. How are probabilities calculated in quantum physics?

Probabilities in quantum physics are calculated using mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of quantum systems over time. These equations take into account the wave-like nature of particles and their probability distributions.

4. Can probabilities in quantum physics be measured?

Yes, probabilities in quantum physics can be measured and observed through experiments. However, due to the probabilistic nature of quantum particles, the results of these measurements may not always be certain.

5. What is the significance of probabilities in quantum physics?

The role of probabilities in quantum physics is significant as it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It also allows for the development of technologies such as quantum computing, which harnesses the probabilistic nature of quantum particles to perform complex calculations and tasks.