Find Paid Math/Physics Research Opportunities Post-Undergrad Graduation

• Thread starter Doom of Doom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the conversation discusses options for graduating undergraduates during the summer before starting graduate school. The main options mentioned include participating in REU programs or other research opportunities, finding a job, starting graduate school early, or taking time to relax and unwind. It is mentioned that some research opportunities may be more tailored towards undergraduates, but networking can help find opportunities for interested graduates.
Doom of Doom
I know it's kind of a long way off (since I graduate in May 2010), but I was wondering what most people do for the summer between graduation from undergrad and starting grad school.

It seems most REU's and other undergrad research opportunities are only valid for those who will continue undergrad in the fall.

Are there still plenty of opportunities to do paid math/physics research during this time, or would I have to *gasp* find a real job!?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know two seniors who will be going to grad school in math next year. One was offered an REU spot at one of the grad schools she was accepted to (she did not apply to the REU and funding is coming from a non-NSF source), the other one will be working with a professor at her undergraduate institution. One of the math majors who graduated last year got a summer job to earn some money before graduate school

You can try going to grad school early and getting involved in research. I spent a month traveling and then worked at a private school for a month teaching physics.

Personally? I just lived with my parents, and used the time to unwind and do a lot of reading. I'll admit that it wasn't the best use of my time, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Perhaps the "formal" summer research programs are more often tailored towards undergraduates, but that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities for interested students who have graduated. Often, you have to network a little to find them.

I know some people who went to their graduate school early and got a head start on research. Personally, I traveled a little bit, and then spent my summer working in unrelated areas.

1. What types of research opportunities are available in math/physics for post-undergrad graduates?

There are a variety of research opportunities available in math and physics for post-undergrad graduates. These can include working in a university research lab, participating in a government-funded research project, or joining a private research institution.

2. How can I find paid research opportunities in math/physics after graduating?

One way to find paid research opportunities in math and physics after graduating is to network with professors and researchers in your field. You can also search for job openings on university and government websites, as well as job search engines.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications required for these research opportunities?

The specific skills and qualifications required for research opportunities in math and physics will vary depending on the specific project or position. However, most research opportunities will require a strong background in math and physics, as well as experience with research methods and data analysis.

4. Can international students also apply for paid research opportunities in math/physics?

Yes, international students can also apply for paid research opportunities in math and physics. However, they may need to obtain a work visa or other necessary documentation before starting the research project.

5. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree to participate in paid research opportunities in math/physics?

While having a graduate degree can be beneficial for obtaining paid research opportunities in math and physics, it is not always necessary. Many research projects may consider applicants with a bachelor's degree and relevant experience or skills. It is important to carefully read the requirements and qualifications for each research opportunity before applying.