Adding Inertia Tensors to 3D Shapes: Parallel Axis Theorem Explained

In summary, in order to connect multiple inertia tensors into one composite shape, the new center of mass must be found and the parallel axis theorem must be used to calculate the new inertia tensors for each body. However, if the new inertia tensors are not aligned with the same axes, a rotation matrix can be applied to rotate them into the same coordinate system. This process is known as a "similarity transformation". Once all tensors are in the same coordinate system, the PAT can then be used to calculate the new tensors around the new center of mass. This process can also be applied in 3D using a rotation matrix and the formula I' = RIR^T.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Lets say that I know the inertia tensors for a few different 3D shapes and I want to connect them together into one big composite shape. From what I understand, I first have to find the new center of mass, then using the parallel axis theorem find the new inertia tensors for each body along an axis going through the center, and then just add them up. My question in, what if the new inertia tensors around the center are around axes (plurel of axis?) that aren't pointing in the same direction. Is there a way to rotate the axis of an inertia tensor? Should I make a rotation matrix from each one of the bodies space to the new composite's space and then apply those to the inertia tensors before using the PAT? Can someone give me some details about the PAT in 3D?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can rotate the inertia tensor by what's called a "similarity transformation". If R is a rotation matrix and I is the inertia matrix, then I transforms as

[tex]I' = RIR^T[/tex]

Thanks - then after I rotate all the tensors into the same coordinate system I can calculate new tensors around the new center of mass using the parallel axis theorem? How is it done in 3D?
Thanks.

1. What is the parallel axis theorem and how does it relate to inertia tensors?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis parallel to the body's center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the parallel axis passing through the center of mass, plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two parallel axes. In the context of adding inertia tensors to 3D shapes, this theorem allows us to calculate the moment of inertia of a complex shape about any axis by summing the moments of inertia of its components.

2. What are inertia tensors and why are they important in 3D modeling?

Inertia tensors are mathematical representations of an object's resistance to rotational motion. They are important in 3D modeling because they allow us to accurately simulate the behavior of objects in virtual environments, such as how they respond to external forces or how they rotate and move when acted upon by different torques.

3. How do you calculate the inertia tensor of a 3D shape?

The inertia tensor of a 3D shape can be calculated by summing the individual inertia tensors of its components using the parallel axis theorem. This involves determining the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of each component and then using the formula for the parallel axis theorem to combine them into a single inertia tensor for the entire shape.

4. Can inertia tensors be negative or zero?

Inertia tensors can be negative or zero in certain cases. For example, if an object has an axis of symmetry, the moment of inertia about that axis will be zero. In addition, if an object has a mass distribution that is not symmetrical, the inertia tensor in certain directions may be negative, indicating that the object is more resistant to rotational motion in those directions.

5. How are inertia tensors used in real-world applications?

Inertia tensors are used in a variety of real-world applications, including robotics, aerospace engineering, and video game development. In robotics, they are used to model the movements of robots and their components. In aerospace engineering, they are used to design and analyze the behavior of aircraft and spacecraft. In video game development, they are used to create realistic physics simulations for objects in virtual environments.