Prove using de moivre's theorem of I=cos^2n theta

In summary, indie452 needs to find a way to solve cos(x)2n = 1 / 2^(2n) * (values of cos + (2n)! / ((n!)2)) using only the coefficients of cos(x). He also needs to find a way to represent the 'values of cos' relating it to n.
indie452

Homework Statement

Use de Moivre's Theorem and the result that integral (with limits pi, 0) of cos[nx]dx = 0 for all non-zero integers of n. when n does equal 0 the answer is 1.

[this i proved in the first section of the qu using logic and limits(x->0).

so we need to prove that

integral[with limits pi, 0] [(cos(x))2n]dx = [pi / (2)2n] * [(2n)! / (n!)2]

Homework Equations

de moivre -> (cos(nx) + i*sin(nx)) = (cos(x) + i*sin(x))n

eulers -> (cos(x) + i*sin(x)) = eix

The Attempt at a Solution

okay I've tried not using de moivres and trying to find a pattern by doing the integral a few times, and I've also thought that using eulers formula might help, but i seriously just can't get started...i know that i need to use the real part of the formula but i don't know what to do first.this is a past exam paper by the way and my uni doesn't issue mark schemes, plus it being bank hols weekend no one will be there until wednesday

i appreciate any help or even just ideas on how to get started
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(x) = (exp(ix) + exp(-ix))/2

Take both sides to the power 2n

Use the binomial theorem for the right-hand side

Integrate

well I've just done that between posting the qu and reading your reply and this is what I've done

cos(x)2n = 1 / 2^(2n) * (values of cos + (2n)! / ((n!)2))

the values of cos were found with setting n to various numbers and expanding
ie-
if n=2 :-values of cos were cos4x + 4cos2x
if n=3 :-values of cos were cos6x + 6cos4x + 15cos2x

but i don't know if i can do this without expanding and leaving n in there.

so with this equ integrated the cos becomes sin and then fall to 0 because integar numbers of pi is 0, and (2n)! / (n!)2 becomes (2n)! / ((n!)2) *x and the times this by the 1 / 2^(2n) gives the answer.

but once again i don't know whether i should know how to represent the 'values of cos' relating it to n [the main prob is the coefficients], cause i won't have this kind of time in the exam

Last edited:
Hi indie452! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
indie452 said:
Use de Moivre's Theorem and the result that integral (with limits pi, 0) of cos[nx]dx = 0 for all non-zero integers of n. when n does equal 0 the answer is 1.

[this i proved in the first section of the qu using logic and limits(x->0).

so we need to prove that

integral[with limits pi, 0] [(cos(x))2n]dx = [pi / (2)2n] * [(2n)! / (n!)2]

Use nealjking's :smile: two hints: cos(x) = (eix + e-ix)/2,

and (a + b)2n = ∑akb2n-k 2nCk

which coefficient(s) are the only ones with nonzero integral? :wink:

1. What is de Moivre's theorem?

De Moivre's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that for any complex number z = r(cosθ + isinθ) and any positive integer n, the nth power of z can be expressed as z^n = r^n(cos nθ + isin nθ).

2. How is de Moivre's theorem used to prove I = cos^2nθ?

To prove I = cos^2nθ using de Moivre's theorem, we can express cos^2nθ as (1/2 + 1/2cos2nθ) and use de Moivre's theorem to expand (1/2 + 1/2cos2nθ)^n. Then, we can use the identity cos2nθ = cos^2nθ - sin^2nθ and simplify the expanded expression to prove that I = cos^2nθ.

3. What is the significance of proving I = cos^2nθ?

Proving I = cos^2nθ using de Moivre's theorem helps us understand the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions. It also allows us to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions.

4. Can de Moivre's theorem be used for other trigonometric identities?

Yes, de Moivre's theorem can be used to prove various trigonometric identities, including double angle identities, half angle identities, and multiple angle identities.

5. Are there any limitations to using de Moivre's theorem?

De Moivre's theorem is limited to only positive integer powers of complex numbers. It also does not apply to all trigonometric functions, as it only relates to cosine and sine. Additionally, the theorem may not always be the most efficient or practical method for proving trigonometric identities.