LogNormal Mean Estimators

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the parameters of a lognormal distribution and a constant theta in determining a biased but consistent value for a. It also explores using a large n-approximation to reduce the bias and using the CLT or Weak Law of Large Numbers. The conversation also mentions the use of mgfs of normal distributions and the calculation of E[exp (Vt)] as a way to find a different value for theta.
Zazubird
If Y~N(mu,sigma) and y=logX, with X~LN(mu,sigma),
with a*=exp{ybar+1/2*theta*sample variance of y}, where ybar=sample mean of y and a=E[X]=exp{mu+1/2*sigma^2}, theta is constant.

If theta=1, a* is consistent but biased and we can reduce the bias by choosing a different value of theta. Use a large n-approximation in the expression E[a*] to find a value that reduces the bias, as compared to when theta=1.

During my attempt to do this, I ended up with E[a*]=E[geometric mean of x * geometric variance of x]. Knowing that y=logx and thus ybar=log(x1*x2*...*xn)/n, I ended with such an expression. I have a feeling that this is most likely incorrect and am thus completely lost. I was thinking along the lines of possibly using CLT or Weak Law of Large Numbers, with the n-approximation detail in the question, but still don't know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
If Log[geometric mean] = Mean[y] and Log[geometric var] = Var[y], then Log[g.m.*g.v.] = Mean[y] + Var[y], and this is identical to E[Log[a*]] for theta = 2.

I think I made a mistake in my working and have taken a different approach involving mgfs of normal distributions. But I still get stuck halfway. I've put some of my working in the attached file. Any ideas as to how to get this different value of theta?

Edit to file: V= Ybar + 0.5*theta*S^2

Attachments

• Help.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
How did you end up getting E[exp (Vt)]?

1. What is a LogNormal Mean Estimator?

A LogNormal Mean Estimator is a statistical method used to estimate the mean of a LogNormal distribution. It is based on the assumption that the logarithm of the data follows a normal distribution, and uses this relationship to calculate the mean of the original data.

2. How is a LogNormal Mean Estimator calculated?

A LogNormal Mean Estimator is calculated by taking the logarithm of the data, calculating the mean of the transformed data using traditional methods (such as the arithmetic mean), and then transforming the result back to the original scale using the exponential function. This estimated mean is a good approximation for the true mean of the LogNormal distribution.

3. What are the advantages of using a LogNormal Mean Estimator?

One advantage of using a LogNormal Mean Estimator is that it can handle skewed data, which is common in many real-world scenarios. It also takes into account the variability of the data, providing a more accurate estimate compared to other methods that do not consider this variability.

4. Are there any limitations to using a LogNormal Mean Estimator?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a LogNormal Mean Estimator. It assumes that the data follows a LogNormal distribution, which may not always be the case. It is also sensitive to outliers, so extreme values in the data can greatly affect the estimated mean.

5. When should I use a LogNormal Mean Estimator?

A LogNormal Mean Estimator is commonly used in fields such as finance, economics, and biology where data is often positively skewed. It can also be used when the underlying data is assumed to follow a LogNormal distribution, or when traditional mean estimators may not provide accurate results due to outliers or skewed data.