Convergence Tests: Limit Comparison & Comparison Explained

In summary, the homework statement states that the series \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} (\frac{n+1}{n^2 +1})^3 converges by comparison with \frac{1}{n^3}. However, the limit comparison test can be used to avoid the difficulty of establishing this inequality.
roam

Homework Statement

Here is a worked example:

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1909/88760168.gif

I don't understand why they used the "limit comparison test" and not the "comparison test".

Why can't we just conclude that the series [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} (\frac{n+1}{n^2 +1})^3[/tex] converges by comparison with [tex]\frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]?

What's the necessity of using the limit comparison test?

Furthermore, I would like to know in which cases it is more suitable to use the comparison test and when to use the limit comparison test. I appreciate some guidance here. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To use the comparison test you would have to show that ((n + 1)/(n^2 + 1))^3 <= 1/n^3, for all n larger than some value N_0. It might not be very easy to establish this inequality. The limit comparison gets around this problem.

How did you first inspect that it would not be very easy to establish that [tex](\frac{n+1}{n^2 +1})^3 \leq \frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]? :smile:

If I were using the regular comparison test on this, I would say

[tex]n+1\le n+n= 2n[/tex]

and

[tex]n^2+1\ge n^2[/tex]

so that

[tex]\frac{n+1}{n^2+1}\le\frac{2n}{n^2}=\frac{2}{n}[/tex]

and thus

[tex]\left(\frac{n+1}{n^2+1}\right)^3\le\frac{8}{n^3}[/tex]

Without context I assume the purpose of the example is to demonstrate the limit comparison test, not demonstrate how to prove the convergence of that series

Billy Bob said:
If I were using the regular comparison test on this, I would say

[tex]n+1\le n+n= 2n[/tex]

and

[tex]n^2+1\ge n^2[/tex]

so that

[tex]\frac{n+1}{n^2+1}\le\frac{2n}{n^2}=\frac{2}{n}[/tex]

and thus

[tex]\left(\frac{n+1}{n^2+1}\right)^3\le\frac{8}{n^3}[/tex]

Hi!
I can't follow exactly what you've done here, could you please explain a little more?

If you want to show that, for example, a/b < c/d, the best way to do this is to show that a < c and b > d.

You want the numerator on the left to be smaller than the one on the right, and you want the denominator on the left to be bigger than the one on the right. A larger denominator is associated with a smaller value.

I assume that that was the part of Billy Bob's work that you didn't understand.

I get it now, thank you.

1. What are convergence tests and why are they important in mathematics?

Convergence tests are mathematical techniques used to determine whether a series (a sequence of numbers) converges (approaches a finite limit) or diverges (does not approach a finite limit). They are important because they allow us to evaluate the behavior of infinite series, which are commonly used in mathematical models and calculations.

2. How does the limit comparison test work?

The limit comparison test is used to compare the convergence or divergence of two infinite series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of the terms of the two series and determining if the resulting limit is finite and non-zero. If it is, then the two series have the same behavior (i.e. they both converge or both diverge).

3. What is the difference between the limit comparison test and the comparison test?

The limit comparison test and the comparison test are both used to determine the convergence or divergence of infinite series, but they use different comparison methods. The limit comparison test compares the terms of two series, while the comparison test compares the terms of a series to a known convergent or divergent series.

4. When should one use the limit comparison test versus the comparison test?

The choice between using the limit comparison test or the comparison test depends on the ease of finding a suitable comparison series. If a suitable comparison series can be easily identified, then the comparison test may be quicker to use. However, if the terms of the series being tested are more complex, the limit comparison test may be more efficient.

5. Can convergence tests be used for all types of series?

No, convergence tests are not applicable to all types of series. Some series may require specific convergence tests that are tailored to their properties, such as the alternating series test for alternating series. Additionally, some series may not converge or diverge using traditional tests and may require more advanced techniques.