Find Acceleration with only Initial Velocity and Final position?

In summary: You got the acceleration ok. Now use the other equation to solve for the time it takes to go 180 m and then the other equation to find the velocity. (In summary, The hockey puck, starting with an initial velocity of 3.8 m/s on a frozen lake, slides to rest after traveling 238 m. The acceleration of the puck is -0.03 m/s^2. To find the time it takes to travel 180 m, use the equation x=xo + vot +1/2at^2 and solve for t. Then use the equation v=v0+at to find the final velocity. It takes 75.33 seconds for the puck to travel 180 m and its
fireykitty

Homework Statement

A hockey puck sliding on a frozen lake comes to rest after 238 m. If its initial velocity is 3.8 m/s what is its acceleration if it is assumed constant? Answer in units of m/s^2

How long is it in motion? What is its speed after traveling 180 m?

Homework Equations

x=xo + vot +1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

v^2=(vo)^2+2a(x-xo)
...v^2=(3.8)^2 + 2a (-238)

but i don't know the velocity, cause i don't have the time!

3.8 m/s * 1/238 m = time?
I find that I can't do anything without the time! I'm so lost and confused. PLEASE HELP.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: what does "comes to rest" mean? ;-)

fireykitty said:

The Attempt at a Solution

v^2=(vo)^2+2a(x-xo)
...v^2=(3.8)^2 + 2a (-238)

but i don't know the velocity, ...

Welcome to PF.

That equation works. Your final velocity is 0 so ...

v2 = 3.82 = 2*a*238

Then you have your acceleration a.

With that v = a*t so t becomes easy to find.

To find the speed at 180 m just use the equation you gave above to determine the speed at that distance.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

That equation works. Your final velocity is 0 so ...

v2 = 3.82 = 2*a*238

Then you have your acceleration a.

With that v = a*t so t becomes easy to find.

To find the speed at 180 m just use the equation you gave above to determine the speed at that distance.

But then we have two variables, a, and v, how do I solve then? it doesn't work if you manipulate and substitute v =at because then the other variable, t, comes in.

fireykitty said:
But then we have two variables, a, and v,
No you don't, you only have one, a. Look carefully at the equation LowlyPion wrote for you.

diazona said:
No you don't, you only have one, a. Look carefully at the equation LowlyPion wrote for you.

ok, i tried it, solved for a and I got .030 m/s^2 = a.

i typed that into my homework answers, and it said it was incorrect (we have multiple times to try it)

and when I do v=at,

3.8=(.030)t,

I get 125.3 seconds...seems a bit too much time. am i doing something wrong?

fireykitty said:
ok, i tried it, solved for a and I got .030 m/s^2 = a.

i typed that into my homework answers, and it said it was incorrect (we have multiple times to try it)

and when I do v=at,

3.8=(.030)t,

I get 125.3 seconds...seems a bit too much time. am i doing something wrong?

I trust you entered it as a = -.03 m/s2

It is decelerating after all.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or changing direction in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

What units is acceleration measured in?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

What is the significance of finding acceleration with only initial velocity and final position?

Finding acceleration with only initial velocity and final position can be useful in situations where the time of acceleration is unknown. It allows you to determine the acceleration of an object without needing to know the time it took to change its velocity.