Homework in Grad Level Classes

In summary, it is common for grad students to work together on homework, but it is also possible to do it alone.
nsatya
I just want to get an idea of how taking courses as a physics grad student differs from that of undergrad. As an undergrad, I usually find a friend to work on physics homework, mainly because it saves a lot of time and can sometimes help clarify a difficult problem when two people are working on it. Is it common for grad students to work together on homework, or is it usually done alone? Just something I'm curious about.

Physics news on Phys.org
I spent a lot of time helping my fellow grad students on problems sets and seeking their help understanding solutions. We didn't always sit in the same room working on a problem at the same time, but we definitely collaborated. But I also knew people that were very competitive and did not like to share their insights into solutions.

A lot of people learn best from peer-learning environments and most professors know that and encourage group learning. But, when it comes down to exams you better be damn sure you understood those solutions because if you don't you will pay the price.

I found that the degree of group collaboration wasn't too different from that in senior undergraduate classes. This is something that really depends on the people involved though. Most graduate physics classes are quite small and so if you have three out of four people who prefer to work alone, that's what you'll be doing.

My first year, collaboration on homework assignments was both encouraged by the professors and essential to getting it done. Jackson E&M is not something you want to do alone unless you're some kind of genius. There were many late nights up in the grad student office working on quantum or E&M and trying to piece a solution together from everyone's insights. Without the help of the rest of my class, I wouldn't have made it through first year.

I took three classes, and always ended up having two assignments a week. Each one probably took a solid 8 to 10 hours of work. But considering that your only responsibilities are homework and teaching (=mostly grading), it was actually a lot less stressful than undergrad.

Unlike many people in physics, I really like E&M. My policy to fellow grad students was "Bring beer... I'll help you on Jackson homework"! Fortunate for me... we did spend a lot of time collaborating on that topic.

I was in a large graduate program (each incoming class was about 40 students)... so collaborations were in smaller groups of 3-4 (some larger groups of 5-6), and some people probably worked on their own more often than in groups.

1. What is the purpose of homework in grad level classes?

Homework in grad level classes serves several purposes. It allows students to apply what they have learned in class to real-world problems and scenarios. It also helps students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as time management and self-discipline. Additionally, homework allows instructors to assess students' understanding and progress in the course.

2. How much time should be spent on homework in grad level classes?

The amount of time spent on homework in grad level classes can vary depending on the course and instructor. However, on average, students can expect to spend 2-3 hours per credit hour on homework. For example, if a course is 3 credits, students can expect to spend 6-9 hours on homework per week.

3. Is homework graded in grad level classes?

Yes, homework is typically graded in grad level classes. However, the weight of homework in the overall course grade may vary. Some instructors may use homework as a smaller percentage of the grade, while others may use it as a larger percentage. It is important to check the course syllabus for specific grading policies.

4. How can I manage the workload of homework in grad level classes?

Managing the workload of homework in grad level classes can be challenging, but there are some strategies that can help. Prioritizing assignments based on due dates and difficulty level, breaking larger assignments into smaller tasks, and seeking help from classmates or instructors when needed are all effective ways to manage the workload. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and take breaks when needed to avoid burnout.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with homework in grad level classes?

If you are struggling with homework in grad level classes, the first step is to reach out to your instructor for help. They may be able to provide additional resources or clarification on assignments. It is also beneficial to form study groups with classmates to collaborate and discuss challenging concepts. Additionally, utilizing campus tutoring services or seeking help from a mentor or advisor are other options for getting support with homework in grad level classes.