What is the best way to anchor a fort with a zip line attached?

• Thread starter Airman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, if you want to attach the zip line to the fort using 6 4 by 4 posts sunk into the ground and using cement, the posts should be sunk a minimum of 8 feet and the cement should be a minimum of 2 inches thick. The attachment should be at the other end of the zip line, and should also be able to withstand a load of 750 pounds without toppling.
Airman
I'm building a fort in the backyard, which will be 8 by 16 feet. I plan on attaching a zip line to the middle of the fort, and need to know how to stabalize the fort. If I assume a maximum allowed weight on the zip line of 250 pounds, and a minumum angle of decent of 10 degrees, the maximum force pulling on the fort would be 750 pounds, most of which would be directed horizontally. I am using 6 4 by 4's as the supports for the fort, and zip line would be attached 14 feet above the ground inbetween the middle two 4 by 4's. My question is how should I anchor the fort into the ground? My plan is to sink the 4 by 4's into the ground and possibly use cement as well. I willl also use small stakes, but how deep does everything need to be? I am also building a small attachment for the zip line at the other end - this will not be a fort, but I can not attach it to a tree. However, it also needs to be able to withstand the 750 pounds of force without toppling.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Airman said:
I'm building a fort in the backyard, which will be 8 by 16 feet. I plan on attaching a zip line to the middle of the fort, and need to know how to stabalize the fort. If I assume a maximum allowed weight on the zip line of 250 pounds, and a minumum angle of decent of 10 degrees, the maximum force pulling on the fort would be 750 pounds, most of which would be directed horizontally. I am using 6 4 by 4's as the supports for the fort, and zip line would be attached 14 feet above the ground inbetween the middle two 4 by 4's. My question is how should I anchor the fort into the ground? My plan is to sink the 4 by 4's into the ground and possibly use cement as well. I willl also use small stakes, but how deep does everything need to be? I am also building a small attachment for the zip line at the other end - this will not be a fort, but I can not attach it to a tree. However, it also needs to be able to withstand the 750 pounds of force without toppling.

Can you attach a sketch (long weekend for me...lol)?

CS

Airman: It sounds like your zip line is attached to the centerpoint of the fort floor, and is parallel to the 16 ft dimension. Please correct me if wrong. I don't need a diagram if you describe this orientation.

Using your minimum deflection angle, you correctly computed the cable tension due to your applied load. It might also be good if you tell us the initial sag of your cable prior to applying the point load, and the distance between your cable end connections, and the cable cross section and properties. We would also need the coordinates of any guy wires.

1. How does a zip line attached to a fort work?

A zip line attached to a fort works by using gravity and a pulley system to transport a person from one point to another. The zip line is typically made of a strong cable or rope that is anchored at both ends, and a person can ride along it by holding onto a handle or harness attached to the cable.

2. What are the safety precautions for a zip line attached to a fort?

The safety precautions for a zip line attached to a fort include: ensuring the zip line is securely anchored at both ends, using a sturdy and reliable cable, regularly inspecting and maintaining all equipment, providing proper safety gear for riders such as helmets and harnesses, and having trained personnel to operate and supervise the zip line.

3. What is the maximum weight limit for a zip line attached to a fort?

The maximum weight limit for a zip line attached to a fort varies depending on the specific equipment and design. It is important to follow the weight limit guidelines provided by the manufacturer or operator to ensure the safety of riders.

4. What age group is suitable for a zip line attached to a fort?

The age group suitable for a zip line attached to a fort also depends on the specific equipment and design. Some zip lines may have age restrictions for safety reasons, while others may be suitable for all ages. It is important to check with the manufacturer or operator for age guidelines.

5. Can a zip line attached to a fort be used in all weather conditions?

The usability of a zip line attached to a fort in different weather conditions depends on the specific equipment and design. Some zip lines may have restrictions for certain weather conditions such as high winds or heavy rain, while others may be able to operate in most weather conditions. It is important to check with the manufacturer or operator for weather guidelines.