Markov Chain Homework: Expressing Transition Matrix P in Terms of G

Since G(xn, y) is a deterministic function of y, the probability P[G(xn, y)=xn+1] will simply be the fraction of values of y that give G(xn, y) = xn+1. Therefore, we can express the transition matrix P in terms of G as P[i,j] = P[G(i, y)=j], where y is the uniformly distributed random variable. In summary, we are given a sequence of independent random variables Y1, Y2, ... uniformly distributed on [0, 1] and a function G : I x [0, 1] -> I. By defining Xn+1 = G(Xn, Yn+1) for n>=0
hsong9
Please Help! Markov Chain

Homework Statement

Let X0 be a random variable with values in a countable set I. Let Y1, Y2, ... be a
sequence of independent random variables, uniformly distributed on [0, 1].
Suppose we are given a function G : I x [0, 1] -> I
and define inductively for n >= 0, Xn+1 = G(Xn, Yn+1).
Show that (Xn)n>=0 is a Markov chain and
express its transition matrix P in terms of G.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to show that Xn+1 depends on Xn by checking the condition in the definition of Markov chain, and then
try to find some formula for P(Xn+1 = j | Xn=i) in terms of G.

Actually, my background for Markov chain lacks a little, so I have no how I find some formula for P in terms of G.. How do I handle terms of G?
Anybody give me some hints or answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

I guess you should only need to show P[Xn+1 = xn+1 | X1 = x1, X2 = x2, ..., Xn = xn] = P[Xn+1 = xn+1 | Xn = xn]. (Markov property).

In your case it holds, since G is only a function of Xn; and Yi are independent random variables. P[Xn+1 = xn+1 | Xn = xn] = P[G(xn, y)=xn+1] where y is the uniformly distributed random variable.

What is a Markov Chain?

A Markov chain is a mathematical model that represents a sequence of events where the probability of transitioning from one event to another depends only on the current state and not the previous states.

How does a Markov Chain work?

A Markov chain works by creating a transition matrix that represents all the possible transitions between states and their corresponding probabilities. Based on the current state, the model uses the transition matrix to determine the probability of transitioning to the next state.

What are some real-life applications of Markov Chains?

Markov Chains have various applications in different fields such as finance, biology, natural language processing, and weather forecasting. Some examples include predicting stock prices, analyzing DNA sequences, generating text in predictive keyboards, and forecasting weather patterns.

What are the limitations of a Markov Chain?

A Markov Chain assumes that the future state only depends on the current state and is independent of all previous states. This may not always hold true in real-life scenarios where events may be influenced by multiple factors. Additionally, the model also assumes that the probabilities of transitioning between states remain constant, which may not always be the case.

How can I create a Markov Chain model?

To create a Markov Chain model, you will need to define the states, determine the probabilities of transitioning between states, and construct a transition matrix. This can be done using data from past events or by making assumptions based on your knowledge of the system. You can also use various software and programming languages such as Python and R to build and analyze Markov Chain models.