Controling/Reading a CDROM drive.

• Thread starter HappMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary, the conversation involves a college senior in biomedical engineering who is working on a senior design project that requires the use of a CDROM drive. The project involves being able to control the drive to read data from a specific spot on the CD. The individual is currently trying to understand how CDROM drives work and is looking for resources such as books, websites, or journal articles to help with programming. Suggestions were given to browse at bookstores for references on CDROM libraries or functions.
HappMatt
I am college senior in biomedical engineering and am working on a project which will involve the use of a CDROM drive for a senior design project. For the project what i will need to be able to take a CD and be able to tell the drive to point to a specific spot on the cd and read the data. I am in the process of trying to understand CDROM drives and how they work. I understand the concepts of how they use laser scatter and and nano Fab part of a CD but I have no clue on the programing.

What I would like is to know if anyone knows any books, websites or jorunal article which may help me understand how to control where the drive reads and gather the data it reads.

Thanks Matt

Computer science news on Phys.org
Just head over to Borders and Barnes and Noble and browse. Any book should have some reference to cdrom libraries or functions.

As a scientist in the field of biomedical engineering, I can understand your need to understand the workings of a CDROM drive for your senior design project. Controlling and reading a CDROM drive involves both hardware and software components, and it is essential to have a thorough understanding of both to successfully use it for your project.

To start, I would recommend researching the basics of CDROM technology, including how data is stored and read on a CD, and the different components of a CDROM drive. This will give you a better understanding of how the drive works and how it reads data from a CD.

Next, I would suggest looking into programming languages and techniques used for controlling a CDROM drive. This may include low-level programming languages such as C or assembly, as well as higher-level languages like Java or Python. There are also specific libraries and APIs (application programming interfaces) available for controlling CDROM drives, which you can explore based on your project requirements.

In terms of resources, there are several books and websites available that provide detailed information on controlling and reading CDROM drives. I would recommend checking out books such as "CD-ROM: The Complete Reference" by Jim Kyle and "The CD-ROM Handbook" by J. Scott Hamlin. Additionally, websites like CDROM-guide.com and PCguide.com offer comprehensive guides and tutorials on CDROM technology and programming.

You may also find relevant journal articles on this topic by searching through databases such as IEEE Xplore or ScienceDirect. These articles can provide valuable insights and techniques used by researchers in the field.

Overall, my advice would be to thoroughly research the basics of CDROM technology and programming, and then dive into specific resources that can help you understand how to control and read a CDROM drive for your project. Good luck!

1. How can I control a CDROM drive using my computer?

You can control your CDROM drive using a program or software that allows you to access and manipulate the drive's functions. You can also use the command line or terminal to send commands to the CDROM drive.

2. What are some common commands used to control a CDROM drive?

Some common commands used to control a CDROM drive include opening and closing the drive tray, ejecting a disc, playing, pausing, and stopping a disc, and changing the disc speed.

3. Can I read data from a CDROM drive without using a computer?

No, a CDROM drive requires a computer or other compatible device to read data from a disc. The drive uses a laser to read information stored on the disc and then sends that data to the computer for processing.

4. How can I ensure my CDROM drive is reading discs properly?

You can check the health of your CDROM drive by running a diagnostic test using a software program. You can also clean the drive's lens regularly to prevent dust and debris from affecting its ability to read discs.

5. Is it possible to control multiple CDROM drives at once?

Yes, it is possible to control multiple CDROM drives at once by using a software program that supports the simultaneous control of multiple drives. You can also use a hardware device, such as a CD duplicator, to control multiple drives at the same time.