How SUSY solves the hierarchy problem

• Thread starter Cherry_pie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary, the Higgs naturalness problem in supersymmetry is solved by adding superparticles to the standard model, which contribute to the Higgs self-energy with opposite signs and cancel out large contributions from fermions and bosons. This reduces the Higgs mass to a more natural and manageable value. Further understanding of these corrections can be found in the lecture notes "Supersymmetry in Elementary Particle Physics" and "A Supersymmetry Primer".
Cherry_pie
I'm currently doing a third year project (undergraduate) on supersymmetry, and am slightly confused as to just how the Higgs naturalness problem is solved through adding superparticles to the standard model. I've been advised to include discussion of radiative corrections, which, at most, all i know is they cancel out something which would otherwise send the Higgs mass to infinity. I would like to understand these corrections in greater detail, and be able to explain just how and why this solves the problem. Any help, or even some good links (ive exhausted wikipedia) aimed at people who arent already experts in this field would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you so much :-) I haven't read through it all yet, but it certainly looks like it answers my problems, plus a few others!

Cherry_pie said:
Thank you so much :-) I haven't read through it all yet, but it certainly looks like it answers my problems, plus a few others!

yes it is a quite delicate set of lecture notes, better than "A Supersymmetry Primer" http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9709356

and "Supersymmetry in Elementary Particle Physics" http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.1928

the main point (as you have read i pressume) is that fermion and bosons contribute to the Higgs self-energy with opposite signs, and if we have supersymmetry, the fermions and bosons in SM have partners with opposite spin in SUSY which will contribute with opposite sign and this make [tex]\delta m_H^2[/tex] almost zero and not [tex]\Lambda ^2[/tex]

What is the hierarchy problem in physics?

The hierarchy problem in physics refers to the large difference in energy scales between the weak scale (described by the Higgs boson) and the Planck scale (the scale at which quantum gravity becomes relevant). This large disparity presents a challenge for the standard model of particle physics, as it requires a fine-tuning of parameters to explain the observed Higgs boson mass.

How does SUSY address the hierarchy problem?

SUSY (Supersymmetry) is a proposed extension to the standard model of particle physics that introduces a new symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). This symmetry predicts the existence of new particles, called supersymmetric particles, which can cancel out the large quantum corrections to the Higgs boson mass, thus solving the hierarchy problem.

What evidence supports the idea of SUSY?

While there is currently no direct evidence for SUSY, it is supported by several theoretical and experimental considerations. For example, SUSY can provide a possible solution to the hierarchy problem, help unify the fundamental forces of nature, and provide a candidate for dark matter. Additionally, some features of SUSY have been observed in certain high-energy experiments, such as the running of the coupling constants.

What are the potential implications of SUSY for the field of physics?

If SUSY is confirmed, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It would provide a framework for unifying the forces of nature and could potentially explain phenomena such as dark matter and the hierarchy problem. It could also lead to a better understanding of the origins of the universe and provide new avenues for theoretical and experimental research.

What are the current challenges and criticisms of SUSY?

While SUSY is an attractive solution to many problems in particle physics, it is not without its challenges and criticisms. One major issue is that the predicted supersymmetric particles have not yet been observed in experiments, despite extensive searches. This has led some scientists to question the validity of SUSY as a solution to the hierarchy problem. Additionally, SUSY introduces a large number of new parameters and degrees of freedom, making it difficult to test and validate experimentally.