Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)

In summary, the individual is experiencing issues with their 1 TB external hard drive, which is displaying as 931 gb of unallocated space and giving a CRC error when attempting to initialize. They have tried plugging the hard drive directly into the motherboard but have encountered the same issue. They are seeking recommendations for software tools to recover their data and fix the problem. Another individual suggests using Paragon Partition Manager Professional 9.0, which successfully recovered their data and resolved the issue.
blimkie.k
My 1 TB external hard drive which currently houses about 850 gbs worth of media is having an issue.

It won't display in my computer but it displays in disk management in black as 931 gb of unalloacted space. When I right click I can't assign it to a drive letter.

When disk management pops up it asks me to intiliaze and that's when i get the CRC error.

I figured it was because of the case so i took the hard drive out its a Hitachi and plugged it right into the motherboard sata style.

Same issue. I googled the error and apparently it means i have a bad area on the disk or some corrupt files.

Im wondering what kind of software tools I may be able to use to recover some of the data or even fix the issue. I would really like to be able to use this drive but if I could atleast get some of the data back that would be nice.

Thanks,
Blimkie

Computer science news on Phys.org
I had a similar problem, I tried Paragon Partition Manager Professional 9.0.
It recovered all of my data and the disk is running with no problems since.

Thankyou sir, that's all i needed was a reccomendation. I will give it a try.

What is a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)"?

A "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)" is an error that occurs when there is a problem with the data on a hard drive. It is usually caused by a physical or logical issue with the hard drive, and can lead to data loss or corruption.

What causes a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)"?

There are several possible causes for a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)". Some common causes include physical damage to the hard drive, corrupt data, or software errors. It can also be caused by a power surge or sudden loss of power to the computer.

How can I fix a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)"?

The best way to fix a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)" is to run a disk check utility on the affected hard drive. This will scan the drive for any errors and attempt to repair them. If the error is caused by physical damage, it may be necessary to replace the hard drive.

Can I prevent a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)"?

While it is not always possible to prevent a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)", there are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of it occurring. These include regularly backing up your data, using a surge protector for your computer, and avoiding sudden power interruptions.

Is a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)" the same as a "Bad sector"?

No, a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)" and a "Bad sector" are two different types of errors. A "Bad sector" refers to a specific section of the hard drive that is damaged or unreadable, while a "Hard drive error (cyclic redundancy check)" can refer to a larger issue with the overall data on the hard drive.