Subatomic particles: Comparative sizes

• Thread starter rrw4rusty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of creating an animation to show the comparative sizes of subatomic particles and the amount of empty space at the atomic and subatomic levels. The speaker expressed the need for a visual representation, rather than just numbers, to help people understand the scale. They shared some comparisons, such as an atom being the size of a solar system and a string being the size of a tree. The size of a quark was also mentioned, and it was assumed that all particles are based on strings in string theories. Links to helpful resources were also shared.
rrw4rusty
Hi,

Now that my book is finished, I’ve been toying with an idea for an animation I’m thinking of doing. One of the things I want to show is the real comparative sizes of subatomic particles (including strings) and how much empty space there is at the atomic and subatomic levels. People don’t have a good understanding of this – in fact, most representations have given people the wrong idea. I do not want numbers. Numbers are great but they do not give a layperson any kind of feel for size especially with atoms wrongly being represented as compact objects in textbooks and elsewhere. So, I’ve been researching this angle and what I’ve come up with so far is:

• If an atom were the size of our solar system, a string would be the size of a tree (perhaps this depends on which theory? If so I want the smallest and the average).
• If an atom were a mile in diameter it’s nucleus would be the size of a marble. Actually, I found several comparisons that all seem a little different. Like…
• Imagine the atom as the size of a professional baseball stadium (in 3D). The size of the nucleus would be about the size of a baseball in proportion. Ants would be far too big to represent as the electrons.
• That an atom is 99.9999% empty space.

I’d like any consensus on the above that I can get.

What I don’t yet have is how the size of a quark fits into all this. I understand that this one is not so easy but I need something. Anyone?

I assume that in most string theories (if not all) that ALL particles are based on strings and that a string's vibration determines what type of quark or Leptons or other particle (gluons) you get (is this correct?). So it sounds like one string per quark or Lepton, therefore 3 strings per hadron.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!
Rusty

Physics news on Phys.org
Rusty,

This will help:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/tables/contents_tables.html"

The official source.

I also found this from 2005, HyperPhysics, Georgia State University:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbasees/hframe.html"

Using the index feature you can find masses, etc for all elementary particles, this may be simpler, easier to use than the Particle Data Group.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Rusty,

This will help:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/tables/contents_tables.html"

The official source.

I also found this from 2005, HyperPhysics, Georgia State University:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbasees/hframe.html"

Using the index feature you can find masses, etc for all elementary particles, this may be simpler, easier to use than the Particle Data Group.

Good luck.

Awesome links! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

What are subatomic particles?

Subatomic particles are the smallest units of matter that make up atoms. They include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

What is the size of a proton?

The size of a proton is approximately 1 femtometer (10^-15 meters). It is about 100,000 times smaller than the size of an atom.

How does the size of a neutron compare to a proton?

The size of a neutron is very similar to that of a proton. It is also approximately 1 femtometer (10^-15 meters) in diameter.

What is the size of an electron?

The size of an electron is much smaller than that of a proton or neutron. It is about 100,000 times smaller than a proton, with a diameter of approximately 0.0000000000000022 meters.

How do subatomic particles differ in size?

The size of subatomic particles can vary greatly. Protons and neutrons are about the same size, while electrons are much smaller. Additionally, there are other subatomic particles with even smaller sizes, such as quarks and leptons.