Planet Orbits, finding radius HELPP

In summary, to find the average radius of the orbit of Mars, you can use the equations for force of gravity and force centripetal, along with the given masses and the universal gravitational constant. By setting these equations equal to each other and substituting the expression for velocity, you can solve for the radius of the orbit. Converting the given time in days to seconds and solving the resulting equation will give you the average radius of the orbit.
thussain93
Planet Orbits, finding radius HELPP!

Homework Statement

The planet Mars has a mass of 6.418*1023kg and completes an orbit around the sun in 687 days. The sun has a mass of 1.99 * 1030kg. what is the average radius of the orbit of mars?

Homework Equations

Force Gravity = G*(m1m2)/r2
Force Centripital = mv2/r

G = 6.67 * 10-11

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the numbers into the Universal gravitaiton formula where m1 was the mass of Mars * m2 which is the mass of the sun * Universal gravitation. I didn't know what to use as Force Gravity.
with the force centripital formula, you have 2 masses. how could i go about finding the velocity of Mars if i don't have the radius??
thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org

G*M*m/r^2 = m*v^2/r. Or
G*M/r= v^2...(1)
In the problem time T to completes an orbit around the sun is given.
So velocity v = 2*pi*r/T...(2)
Substitute the expression of v in eq.1 and solve for r.

for when i plug in equation 1, would i take the square root of the whole left side??

G*M/r= v^2...(1)
G*M/r= (2*pi*r/T)^2...(2)
If you simplify, you get
G*M*T^2= 4*pi^2*r^3.
Convert days to seconds and solve for r.

I got an answer with over a billion km lol seems kinda big even for planets but whatever

thanks alot

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a planet's orbit?

The formula for calculating the radius of a planet's orbit is r = (G*M*T^2)/(4*pi^2), where r is the radius, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the central body, and T is the orbital period of the planet in seconds.

2. How do scientists determine the orbital period of a planet?

The orbital period of a planet can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the planet to complete one full orbit around its central body. This can be done through observations using telescopes or by analyzing data from spacecraft missions.

3. Can the radius of a planet's orbit change over time?

Yes, the radius of a planet's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies, tidal forces, and changes in the mass of the central body.

4. How does the distance from the sun affect a planet's orbital radius?

The distance from the sun affects a planet's orbital radius through the force of gravity. The farther a planet is from the sun, the weaker the force of gravity, resulting in a larger orbital radius. This is known as Kepler's third law of planetary motion.

5. Why is it important to know a planet's orbital radius?

Knowing a planet's orbital radius is important for understanding its characteristics, such as its average temperature, atmosphere, and potential for supporting life. It also helps in predicting future positions of the planet and spacecraft trajectories for missions to that planet.