Understanding Vector Subtraction: A Guide for Solving Vector Problems

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of subtracting vectors and the confusion surrounding it. The participants discuss the tip-tail method of vector addition and how it can be applied to the problem of finding the resultant vector C. They also discuss the difference between C and C' and the importance of considering the direction of the vectors when performing vector addition or subtraction. The conversation ends with a clarification that when figure b is its own original and figure a does not exist, then finding C would just be A + B.
jwxie
This is not a homework question, just a coursework reading.

Homework Statement

Please look at the figure on the right hand side

100128_115536.jpg

Homework Equations

R = A+B
R = A - B

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to understand the concept of subtracting vectors.
I want to do the adding convention instead of subtracting them.

If I move A to connect to B (Tip Tail method), then I would have C (resultant) in an opposition direction (now going up from B to A).

So I thought C = B+A, yet since the original problem is opposite direction, I say C = -(B+A)
But that's wrong since C = A - B

For the figure on the left hand. I can do the adding convention.
Reverse the initial B to positive direction (dot line), and so C = A + B.
Therefore, the actual answer is just C = A + (-B)

Please help me to correct my misunderstanding with subtracting vector. I remember back in high school my teacher told me NEVER THINK ABOUT SUBTRACTING, DO ADDING.

The reason I want to understand is that, if the question asks me "bases on the figure on the right hand, find C" I would be wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you apply the figure (a) to the problem (b)?

Hi,

Even if I move vector B freely to A (tip-tail), and I can't get -B

In figure a I changed B from downward to upward.

Thanks

If it's easier, first change the direction of vector B (in order to obtain -B), and then move it to A, respecting the rules of vector addition.

radou said:
If it's easier, first change the direction of vector B (in order to obtain -B), and then move it to A, respecting the rules of vector addition.

But why do we need to change the direction when the question asks find R.
Originally, B and A are in positive direction (up ward). So assuming B and A are free vectors, just as in figure A, I can move any vector til-tail.

Since they are all upward, there is no reason why I need to reverse the direction of B.

I mean let's not say "produce -B". When I see the problem "find R". I did that method and the answer is obvious wrong

C = A - B
4 = 6 - 2 =/ ||| 8 = 6+2 unless you are talking about the difference in units, then subtracting makes sense. But that's very confusing when it comes to a number in calculation unless A - B is stated.

Wait a minute, what exactly is your "R"?

radou said:
Wait a minute, what exactly is your "R"?

Oh Sorry. I meant C, the resultant.

Just to point out, the resultant is the vector which you get when you add a number of vectors. Since, when "subtracting", you only add opposite vectors, the sum is still a resultant. It's just a term for a sum. So, what exactly are you trying to do?

radou said:
Just to point out, the resultant is the vector which you get when you add a number of vectors. Since, when "subtracting", you only add opposite vectors, the sum is still a resultant. It's just a term for a sum. So, what exactly are you trying to do?

Hi,

Thanks. So if we look at figure b, let's assume it is a question.
Find C.

When I see this problem, I would first do tip-tail method, which is really adding vectors.
So I move B to A.
I find both upward direction, so A + B = C.
Let A = 10, B = 15
C = 25

But now back to the reality. The original C was downward, but in ti-tail, I see C upward. Now I think it's okay since the magnitude is the same.

But why would people do A - B in the first place?

If A = 10, and B = 15, C does not equal 25. Further on, C = A + B and C' = A - B have different magnitudes.

radou said:
If A = 10, and B = 15, C does not equal 25. Further on, C = A + B and C' = A - B have different magnitudes.

Oh, I didn't realize C is longer than C'.

IF the question says "Find C with original figure b"
By looking at the picture, just because C is downward, we assume it has to be A - B?

We see C (in figure (b) ) equals A - B because the laws of vector addition (subtraction). It doesn't matter where it's pointing. You could rotate the whole picture by an amount, but C would still be equal to A - B.

radou said:
We see C (in figure (b) ) equals A - B because the laws of vector addition (subtraction). It doesn't matter where it's pointing. You could rotate the whole picture by an amount, but C would still be equal to A - B.

the laws of vector addition (subtraction)

A - B = A + (-B)

What I really don't understand is, why would we ever consider subtraction when the problem asks "find C"
A + B = C
Obviously A + B produces a longer C than A - B.
Unless the problem says "A - B = ? " then I know how to do the math 10 - 5 = 5, so C = 5

Where does -B coming from in figure b? Unless this -B comes from the original B in figure a, then it makes sense C is A - B since adding A + - B.

But I am so confused when the figure b is its own original, assuming figure a never exist.

jwxie said:
Unless the problem says "A - B = ? " then I know how to do the math 10 - 5 = 5, so C = 5

Do you understand that this does not hold (unless the vectors are parallel to each other)?

radou said:
Do you understand that this does not hold (unless the vectors are parallel to each other)?

The numbers are just there for "saying", not for real demonstration.
But again,

when the figure b is its own original, assuming figure a never exist, a - b will not exist, then finding c will just = a + b

What is the definition of subtracting two vectors?

Subtracting two vectors involves finding the difference between the two vectors. This results in a new vector that represents the displacement between the two original vectors.

How do you subtract two vectors graphically?

To subtract two vectors graphically, you can use the head-to-tail method. Draw the first vector with its initial point at the origin, then draw the second vector starting from the head of the first vector. The resulting vector from the initial point of the first vector to the head of the second vector is the difference between the two vectors.

What is the formula for subtracting two vectors?

The formula for subtracting two vectors is:
A - B = (Ax - Bx, Ay - By, Az - Bz)
where A and B are the two vectors being subtracted, and Ax, Ay, Az and Bx, By, Bz are their respective components in the x, y, and z directions.

Can you subtract two vectors with different magnitudes?

Yes, you can subtract two vectors with different magnitudes. The resulting vector will have a magnitude that is equal to the difference in magnitudes between the two original vectors. However, the direction of the resulting vector may be different from the original vectors.

How is vector subtraction used in physics?

Vector subtraction is used in physics to calculate the net force on an object. By subtracting the individual force vectors acting on an object, you can determine the overall force and its direction. Vector subtraction is also used in calculating displacement and velocity in kinematics problems.