What Makes Leiden, Netherlands a Charming Winter Destination?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a city in the Netherlands with the oldest Dutch university, which the speaker has visited in the past. They mention the city's historic charm and the potential loss of a botanical garden, but are relieved to hear that it has been saved thanks to Japanese funding. The waterfront is praised for its colorful buildings and historical significance.
Andre
Right that city in the Netherlands with the oldest Dutch university. This is what a historic part of it looks like now at the end of the winter. All pics are reduced to 20%.

5xr8d4.jpg

2nuh8vr.jpg

juu2r8.jpg

11iguib.jpg

And those wooden shoes? Yes it's true. We have them:

servwl.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been there a few times, but it is now a long time ago.
Ideally one should have been everywhere in the last 5 or 10 years, but one's connections and motives for doing so diminish. :cry: I remember it in the spring and summer. Perhaps it has a different flavour of charm at the moment, as your pics show.

I was appalled to read a few years ago that the botanical garden there, practically the oldest and in its time most reputed of Europe (attracting the visits of Peter the Great, Voltaire et al.) was going to be eliminated for some short-sighted vandalic purpose or other. However I vaguely remember hearing of some prospect of some Japanese finance and looking it up this moment it appears that that has come to fruition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hortus_Botanicus_Leiden Phew. The purpose of the gardens was scientific, and I do not remember them as anything spectacular, not being a botanist.

I love the colors of the waterfront. You can see the history in the buildings, looks like a nice place to spend some time.

What is the history of Leiden?

Leiden is a historic city in the Netherlands, with evidence of settlements dating back to the Roman times. In the 16th century, it became known as a center for textile production and trade, and later gained fame as the birthplace of the Pilgrims who sailed to America on the Mayflower. It also played a significant role in the Dutch Revolt against Spanish rule in the 16th and 17th centuries.

What are some must-see attractions in Leiden?

Some popular attractions in Leiden include the 17th-century city center with its canals, the Leiden University buildings, and the National Museum of Antiquities. Other must-see sights include the Hortus Botanicus (botanical gardens), the Burcht van Leiden (castle), and the Pieterskerk (church).

What is the best way to get around Leiden?

Leiden is a compact city, and the best way to get around is on foot or by bike. The city also has an extensive public transportation system, including buses and trains, which are efficient and relatively affordable. Taxis are also available, but can be more expensive.

What are some popular food and drink options in Leiden?

Leiden offers a variety of food and drink options, with many restaurants, cafes, and bars located throughout the city. Some must-try local specialties include haring (herring), stroopwafels (thin waffle cookies with caramel syrup), and Dutch cheeses. The city is also known for its beer, with several local breweries producing a range of delicious brews.

What is the weather like in Leiden?

The weather in Leiden is typically mild, with warm summers and cool winters. The average temperature in the summer months (June-August) is around 22°C (72°F), while in the winter months (December-February) it can drop to around 3°C (37°F). It rains throughout the year, with the most precipitation occurring in the fall and winter months.