Point charge above xy plane, find surface charge density

In summary, the homework statement is that a point charge, Q, is located @ (0,0,d) above infinite conducting plane that lies in xy plane and is maintained at ground potential. Find:a.) surface charge density as a function of x and y on conducting plane, andb.) total charge induced on conducting plane.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

A point charge, Q, is located @ (0,0,d) above infinite conducting plane that lies in xy plane and is maintained at ground potential. Find:
a.) surface charge density as a function of x and y on conducting plane, and
b.) total charge induced on conducting plane.

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that the E field is upward directed in the z-direction because the E-field is always perpindicular to a conducting surface. The answer is in the back of the book, and it is:
a.) ρs = (-2Qd)/(4*pi*[ρ2 + d2](3/2)
b.) Qsurface = -Q

In part a, I do not see how the author got [ρ2 + d2](3/2) in the denominator of this formula. This equation shows up in the E-field equation for a uniform disc of charge, and how can we assume this?! If I were to follow this implementation, assuming I can follow the assumptions for an uniform disc of charge, r = daz, and r' = xax + yay. (r - r') = daz - xax - yay. The magnitude of this term to the third power (still following equations for uniform disc of charge) = sqrt(d2 + x2 + y2) = sqrt(d2 + ρ2).

I get stuck here. If someone could let me know if I should continue to follow this method, and if so, how to continue. If I should try another way of thinking, please offer some tips to get me going in the right direction. Thank you for all help, it's most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
can you explain how they got the potential formula and then how they got to the surface charge density on the grounded plane (the next equation)? is there a formula for this or something that I am missing here. From my text, I see no relationship that incorporates the surface charge density and the potential function, involving the permittivity of free space constant.

The closest thing I see is:
surface charge density = (epsilon)*V/d = (epsilon*E) = D, because D = surface charge density at conducting planes.

If you are not familiar with the electric potential yet, see this:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/physics/teaching/phy205/lecture_7.htm

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ehild, I figured it out. Going with your image charge suggestion, I determined that I could find the surface charge distribution by using the formula En = ps/permittivity of free space constant. I solved for the electric potential difference (V) by creating a "dipole" moment with the image charge. Then E = V/d, and then used E to solve for ps, as stated earlier.

Thanks again.

Well done!

ehild

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an electric charge that is concentrated at a single point in space. It is often represented by the symbol "q" and can be either positive or negative.

2. What is the xy plane?

The xy plane is a two-dimensional plane in a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system. It is formed by the x and y axes, with the z axis perpendicular to it.

3. How do you find surface charge density?

To find the surface charge density above the xy plane, you can use the formula σ = q/A, where σ is the surface charge density, q is the point charge, and A is the area of the xy plane.

4. Why is it important to know the surface charge density above the xy plane?

Knowing the surface charge density can help us understand the electric field and potential above the xy plane. It can also be used to calculate the force on a charged particle placed in that region.

5. Can the surface charge density be negative?

Yes, the surface charge density can be negative if the point charge is negative. In this case, the electric field will point towards the xy plane, while a positive surface charge density indicates an outward electric field.