Combining Infinite Series: Can I Make These Two Series Start at the Same Point?

In summary, to rewrite the given expression as a sum involving xn, the first part can be substituted with n=m-2 to create a series from n=0 to ∞, and the second part can be represented as a series from n=1 to ∞. Both series can then be combined into one big sum from n=0 to ∞ by adjusting the starting point of the second series to n=0. This results in a final expression of [n=0 to ∞] ∑(n+2)(n+1)an+2xn + [n=0 to ∞] ∑nanxn.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Rewrite the given expression as a sum whose generic term involves xn

[m=2 to ∞] ∑m(m-1)amxm-2 + [k=1 to ∞] x∑kakxk-1

Homework Equations

None in this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

To make the first part involve only xn, I can use the substitution n=m-2.

[n=0 to ∞] ∑(n+2)(n+1)an+2xn.

But I can't make the second part in terms of xn and [n=0 to ∞], as far as I know.

[k=1 to ∞] x∑kakxk-1 = [k=1 to ∞] ∑kakxk = [n=1 to ∞] ∑nanxn

If I try to take change the start of the sum to n=0, that will effect the xn. See what I'm saying? I want to combine this into one big sum from n=0 to ∞.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamin2112 said:
[k=1 to ∞] x∑kakxk-1 = [k=1 to ∞] ∑kakxk = [n=1 to ∞] ∑nanxn

If I try to take change the start of the sum to n=0, that will effect the xn. See what I'm saying?
So don't do that then. At this stage you have two series, both of which are in terms of xn. The only problem is one starts at n=0 while the other starts at n=1. Can you make them start at the same point?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that represents the sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. It is expressed in the form of ∑(n=1)∞ a_n, where a_n is the nth term in the sequence.

2. How is an infinite series different from a finite series?

An infinite series has an infinite number of terms, while a finite series has a limited and finite number of terms. In other words, an infinite series continues indefinitely, while a finite series has an endpoint.

3. What is the purpose of studying infinite series?

Infinite series are important in mathematics and physics, as they are used to model and solve real-world problems. They also help us understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values.

4. What are some common types of infinite series?

The most common types of infinite series are geometric series, p-series, and harmonic series. Other types include alternating series, telescoping series, and power series.

5. How do you determine if an infinite series converges?

To determine if an infinite series converges, we can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, and integral test. If the limit of the series approaches a finite value, the series is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or approaches infinity, the series diverges.