What similarities can be seen in the motion of these five objects?

• Thread starter hereitgoes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab Motion
In summary, the objects that move in similar ways are the oscillating pendulum, dynamics cart rolling up and down an incline, mass oscillating at the end of a spring, and ball tossed into the air. They all experience oscillatory motion and can be described using similar equations and principles. The common factor among them is the presence of a restoring force that brings them back to their equilibrium position.
hereitgoes
Do any of these five objects move in similar ways? Which ones? What do they have in common?
-Oscillating pendulum
-dynamics cart rolling up and down an incline
-student jumping into the air
-mass oscillating at the end of a spring
-ball tossed into the air

My guess would be that they all move in similar ways?? I don't think I really understand what I'm being asked here. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi hereitgoes! Welcome to PF! :wink:
hereitgoes said:
My guess would be that they all move in similar ways?? I don't think I really understand what I'm being asked here.

hmm :smile:

students don't bounce! :rofl:​

but i think they want you to compare the forces (or accelerations) :wink:

1. What is a "Back and Forth Motion Lab"?

A "Back and Forth Motion Lab" is an experiment designed to study the motion of an object as it moves back and forth along a straight line, also known as oscillatory motion.

2. What materials are needed for a Back and Forth Motion Lab?

The materials needed for a Back and Forth Motion Lab may vary depending on the specific experiment, but generally, you will need a ruler, a stopwatch, a pendulum or spring, and a flat surface to conduct the experiment on.

3. How do you measure the frequency of back and forth motion?

The frequency of back and forth motion can be measured by counting the number of oscillations in a given time frame, usually one second. The number of oscillations is equal to the frequency.

4. What is the difference between amplitude and frequency in back and forth motion?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium point in back and forth motion, while frequency is the number of oscillations in a given time. In simpler terms, amplitude measures the "size" of the motion, while frequency measures how often the motion occurs.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its back and forth motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its back and forth motion. The frequency and amplitude of the motion depend on the length of the pendulum or the stiffness of the spring, not the mass of the object. However, the time it takes for the object to complete one oscillation (period) may be affected by the mass, as it may change the inertia of the object.