After the death of an organism

In summary: Atomic/electron binding energy is what holds atoms/electrons together in molecules. Nuclear binding energy is what holds nuclei together in atoms/nuclei. So while decay can technically involve the release of nuclear binding energy, it's more likely to involve the release of atomic/electron binding energy.In summary, decay is the breaking down of complex molecules into simpler molecules. This releases energy that can be used by other organisms.
runner
What happens to the energy that binds the molecules together? Where does it go; what does it become?

Biology news on Phys.org
runner said:
What happens to the energy that binds the molecules together? Where does it go; what does it become?
Organic matter is broken down by fungi and bacteria, which feed on the decaying material. Soil is the remains of dead plants and animals. If the body is buried, while bacteria are breaking down the tissue, salts/minerals may react with the consituents, and a fossil will form. Petroleum products consist of decayed animal and plant material.

What happens to the forces that had previously held the organism's various molecules and components together?

runner said:
What happens to the forces that had previously held the organism's various molecules and components together?
astronuc already explained it. Are you asking for more detailed information on decay?

Evo said:
astronuc already explained it. Are you asking for more detailed information on decay?

I think that's what I'm probably asking. Sorry to be so vague on this. I was reading this earlier http://www.answers.com/topic/binding-energy", and began to have questions in regards to what I asked concerning organisms. How's this for further interpretation of what Astronuc said. The energy that's bound in the cells of organisms that are consumed by other organisms (such as bacteria, fungi, larger animals, etc.) becomes available to the consumers for their use. Some however, may be lost to the environment in the form of heat (anything else?). Is this close?

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved your thread to biology so you can get some detailed answers. I'd say you're on the right track.

Never say "decay" in a physics forum, when you mean...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition

In short, what happens to the chemical energy of your body?... it becomes the fuel for bacteria, maggots, and so forth. There are purely chemical effects apart from life, but generally speaking you are eaten by bugs both large and small, and that energy is then excreted as urine, feces, and heat.

There is no sudden dissipation of forces, as in radioactive decay or an explosion... your cells starve, some undergo apoptosis, enzymes digest you, and the rest is food as mentioned above. Not romantic, but that's the food chain for you.

nismaratwork said:

LOL, I stand corrected.

It is worth pointing out (in case you thought otherwise) that what happens to previously-living material is the same as what happens to not-previously-living material. They're all just chemical actions, albeit living ones can be extremely complex.

But there is no energy associated with "life" beyond the known chemical energies.

Evo said:
LOL, I stand corrected.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be scolding, just found the notion funny! Imagine if we underwent radioactive decay upon death... six feet under would be just the start. Beam me up the lead-lined casket Scotty. ;)

nismaratwork said:

In short, what happens to the chemical energy of your body?... it becomes the fuel for bacteria, maggots, and so forth. There are purely chemical effects apart from life, but generally speaking you are eaten by bugs both large and small, and that energy is then excreted as urine, feces, and heat.

There is no sudden dissipation of forces, as in radioactive decay or an explosion... your cells starve, some undergo apoptosis, enzymes digest you, and the rest is food as mentioned above. Not romantic, but that's the food chain for you.
Decomposition is perhaps a better term, or even reconsititution. Dead bodies become food for other organisms, e.g., as carnivores or ominvores feed on the dead bodies of other animals. Chemical processes breakdown cellulose/surgars, fat and protein and reform those components in the body of whatever organism partakes of that tissue. Digestion is a series of chemical processes.

runner said:
The energy that's bound in the cells of organisms that are consumed by other organisms (such as bacteria, fungi, larger animals, etc.) becomes available to the consumers for their use. Some however, may be lost to the environment in the form of heat (anything else?). Is this close?
Yes - along the way, some energy is dissipated to the environment.

Bear in mind the difference between atomic/electron binding energy and nuclear binding energy. The energy levels are considerably different, as are the reactants.

What happens to an organism after it dies?

After an organism dies, its body begins to decompose. This is a natural process where bacteria and fungi break down the organic matter, returning nutrients to the soil. The rate of decomposition depends on various factors such as temperature, moisture, and the presence of scavengers.

How long does it take for an organism to decompose?

The time it takes for an organism to decompose varies depending on the type of organism, environmental conditions, and the presence of scavengers. In ideal conditions, a small animal can decompose in a matter of weeks, while larger animals can take months or even years to fully decompose.

What happens to the energy stored in an organism's body after death?

After death, the energy stored in an organism's body is gradually released through the process of decomposition. This energy is used by decomposers such as bacteria and fungi to break down the organic matter. Some of the energy may also be transferred to scavengers who feed on the remains of the organism.

Can an organism come back to life after death?

No, an organism cannot come back to life after death. Death is a permanent state where all bodily functions have ceased. While some organisms may enter a state of suspended animation or hibernation, they are not truly dead and can still be revived. Once an organism has died, it cannot be brought back to life.

How does the death of an organism affect its ecosystem?

The death of an organism can have various effects on its ecosystem. The decomposition of the body releases nutrients back into the soil, which can benefit other organisms. The absence of the organism can also create opportunities for other organisms to fill its ecological niche. In some cases, the death of a keystone species can have a significant impact on the entire ecosystem.