Good Books for Physics Level 1 Students

• Thread starter iamhumble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary,The student is looking for books that will help him learn physics in a more understandable manner. He recommends the Schaum's Outlines College Physics series, Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers, and Fishbane's Physics for Scientists and Engineers.
iamhumble
Hi -

I am in an engineering physics class (level 1) and curious if there are any good books out there that you may recommend that would assist me learning physics such as ones that will explain the topics and concepts in plain english and has practice problems where the book will walk you through them.

Thanks for your time,

Physics news on Phys.org
i am in the first semester of a 4 semester calculus based physics program (physics 1-4 then the fun stuff). for the first two semesters we're using matter and interactions I and II (modern mechanics and electricity and magnetism), which seem to be good books. all the reviews I've read of it insist that you learn what's going on rather than how to plug stuff into equations. i agree to a certain extent, but i don't think it has enough practice problems with answers (like math books).

FYI, All -

I just invested about 50 dollars in these books. I shall let you know how effective they are.

Schaum's ouTlines College Physics 9th edition
REA's Problem Solvers Physics
Schaum's easy outlines College Physics

I'm using Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers. It's the biggest most expensive book I've ever bought filled with tons of needless examples, pictures and what not. I use it mostly for the exercises (there are many).

e(ho0n3 said:
I'm using Giancoli's Physics for Scientists and Engineers. It's the biggest most expensive book I've ever bought filled with tons of needless examples, pictures and what not. I use it mostly for the exercises (there are many).

Is that kinda like Tipler's book with the same title (if you've heard of it)?

I know there are other books out there with the same title. However, I can't comment on those.

Buy sears and zemanskis University Physics by H. D Young. It is excillent.

I do not recommend Fishbane's Physics for Scientists and Engineers.. so far, the explanations are thin (so are the examples).

1. What are some good books for beginners studying physics at a Level 1?

Some good books for beginners studying physics at a Level 1 are "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

2. Are there any specific books that cover all topics in a Level 1 physics course?

Yes, there are books that cover all topics in a Level 1 physics course. Some examples include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Giancoli, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

3. Do these books include practical experiments and examples?

Yes, most of these books include practical experiments and examples to help students understand and apply the concepts they are learning. Some even come with accompanying lab manuals.

4. Can these books be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These books can be used for both self-study and classroom use. However, having a teacher or tutor to guide you through the material and answer any questions may be beneficial for better understanding.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement these books, such as Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Forums. These resources offer additional explanations, practice problems, and discussion forums for students to engage in.