Nonsequential Numbering of Subequations in LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter ams2990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of getting subequations numbered nonsequentially and the desire to have (1c) instead of (1b). The solution is to make changes to the counter or define a new environment and counter that counts in the desired way. Resources for working with counters in LaTeX are also provided.
ams2990
I am trying to get subequations numbered nonsequentially. I have
Code:
\begin{subequations}
	\begin{equation}
	\end{equation}
	\begin{equation}
	\end{equation}
\end{subequations}
which gives me

Code:
(1a) ...
(1b) ...
Instead, I want (1c) instead of (1b). I have no clue whether this is trivial or requires me to use a different subequation method all together, I don't know. Any suggestions are acceptable, provided I am able to use it interchangeably with non-subequations, such as (1a),(1c),(2),(3),(4e),(4g),...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why?

It's not quite clear exactly what you want and why you want it - but you can probably do what you want by either making the occasional change to a counter or by defining a new environment and counter that counts the way you want.

To increment a counter, you use \addtocounter{\thecounter}{value}
To set a counter you use \setcounter{\thecounter}{value}

The counter for equations is \theequation and the counter for subequation is \thesubequation.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Advanced_Topics
http://texblog.wordpress.com/2007/07/25/counters-in-latex/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is nonsequential numbering of subequations in LaTeX?

Nonsequential numbering of subequations in LaTeX refers to the process of assigning numbers to equations within a larger equation using a parent-child relationship. This allows for subequations to be referenced individually or as a group within the main equation.

2. How do I use nonsequential numbering of subequations in LaTeX?

To use nonsequential numbering of subequations in LaTeX, you will need to use the \begin{subequations}\end{subequations} environment. Within this environment, you can use the \label and \ref commands to assign and reference subequations. You can also use the \notag command to exclude a subequation from the numbering sequence.

3. Can I customize the numbering style for subequations in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the numbering style for subequations in LaTeX by using the \renewcommand\theequation{} command. This allows you to change the numbering format, such as using Roman numerals or letters, for the subequations within the main equation.

4. Is it possible to have multiple levels of subequations in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple levels of subequations in LaTeX. This can be achieved by nesting the \begin{subequations}\end{subequations} environment within another \begin{subequations}\end{subequations} environment. The numbering will be based on the parent-child relationship of the subequations.

5. What is the benefit of using nonsequential numbering of subequations in LaTeX?

The main benefit of using nonsequential numbering of subequations in LaTeX is the ability to easily reference and organize subequations within a larger equation. This can be particularly useful when writing complex mathematical equations or when referencing specific sections within a larger equation. It also allows for a more visually appealing and organized presentation of equations in LaTeX documents.