Radiation HW on Alpha Particles

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of energy an alpha particle needs to penetrate the minimal protective epidermal layer of skin, which has a thickness of approximately 7 mg cm-2. Two possible equations are given, R=0.56E and R=1.24E-2.62, for the relationship between the thickness and energy. The solution involves using the equation R=1.24E-2.62 to calculate that 7 mg/cm^2 requires 7.8 mEv of energy.
cconradi

Homework Statement

How much energy does an alpha particle need to penetrate the minimal protective epidermal layer of skin (Thickness ~7 mg cm-2

Homework Equations

Possibly R=0.56E, E,4
OR R=1.24E-2.62, 4<E<8

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation R=0.56E
so, I said that:

7 mg/cm^2=0.56E
then divided by 0.56 to get E=12.mEV

I guess I'm just not sure if I used to correct equation and am confused if the units match up.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it may be correct if I use to other formula actually. 7 mg/cm^2=1.24E-2.62
Do the math and it equals 7.8 mEv. Sound like a better answer?
Thanks!

1. What are alpha particles?

Alpha particles are positively charged particles that are emitted during the process of radioactive decay. They consist of two protons and two neutrons, which are the building blocks of an atom's nucleus.

2. How are alpha particles harmful to living organisms?

Alpha particles have a high level of ionizing radiation, which means that they can easily damage living cells by breaking apart molecules and damaging DNA. This can lead to mutations and potentially cause cancer.

3. What materials can block alpha particles?

Alpha particles can be blocked by a sheet of paper, human skin, or a few centimeters of air. However, they can penetrate deeper into the body if ingested or inhaled.

4. How are alpha particles used in medical treatments?

Small amounts of alpha particles are used in radiation therapy to treat cancer. The particles are directed at the tumor to kill cancer cells and shrink the tumor.

5. How do alpha particles compare to other types of radiation?

Alpha particles are the largest and heaviest type of radiation and have the lowest penetrating power. They are more harmful when inhaled or ingested than when exposed externally. Beta and gamma radiation have higher penetrating power and can cause damage to the body from external exposure.