Solving the Schroedinger Equation for An Anisotropic Oscillator Potential

In summary: The two equations are related via the following equation:X(x)=e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}v(x)+e^{-x^2}v'(x)The difference between the two equations is that the first equation has a constant term in the denominator, while the second equation does not.In summary, the Homework Equations state that the particle will have a certain energy if it is in a certain stationary state, but it is unclear how to find the stationary states or find the term in the SE V that corresponds to that energy.
Wishe Deom

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m moving in a 3D-anisotropic oscillator potential:
[tex]V(\vec{r}) = \frac{1}{2}m(\omega^{2}_{x}x^{2}+\omega^{2}_{y}y^{2}+\omega^{2}_{z}z^{2})[/tex]. (a) Frind the stationary states for this potential and their respective energies.

Homework Equations

Time-Independent Schroedinger Equation in 3 dimensions is [tex]\frac{\bar{h}^{2}}{2m}\nabla^{2}\psi+V\psi=E\psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to find solutions to the TISE in the form of [tex]\psi=X(x)Y(y)Z(z)[/tex], taking all the partial derivatives, dividing through by XYZ, and arranging one side to be a function of x, and the other to be a function of y and z, equaling a constant of separation A.

However, when solving for X(x), I have an equation of the form [tex]\frac{\partial^{2}X}{\partial x^2} = (C + x^2}X[/tex]. I have no idea how to solve this for X. Am I apporaching this problem in the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd know how to solve that equation if C were equal to zero, right? Try starting with that solution, and then see if you can add something to it to make it satisfy the equation you have.

diazona said:
You'd know how to solve that equation if C were equal to zero, right? Try starting with that solution, and then see if you can add something to it to make it satisfy the equation you have.

I didn't know the solution to X'' = x^2 X, but Wolfram Alpha tells me it involves some function D, which I have never before seen. That's why I was having doubts as to whether my reasoning up to this point had been sound.

Check all of your signs and then review the solution of the 1d harmonic oscillator. The correct equations give 3 copies of the Schrodinger equation for the 1d HO.

Oh wait, I think I misread the equation (and was thinking about entirely the wrong problem!). Yes, you're right, solving that equation isn't quite trivial.

How much do you know about the one-dimensional quantum harmonic oscillator?

I am very familiar with the 1d harmonic oscillator, and I would know how to solve each of the three equations if I got them, but I'm not sure how to get there.

If I look for solutions of the form [tex]\psi = X(x) + Y(y) +Z(z)[/tex], then the term in the SE [tex]V \psi[/tex] would be some nine-term monstrosity, wouldn't it?

You were correct to look for solutions in terms of a product. Rewrite the equation for [tex]X(x)[/tex] (it would help to leave the physical quantities in) and compare it to the equation for a 1d HO.

Wishe Deom said:
I am very familiar with the 1d harmonic oscillator, and I would know how to solve each of the three equations if I got them, but I'm not sure how to get there.
What's the difference between the equation you got for the x direction and the equation for the 1D harmonic oscillator?

Try assuming the solution of the form:

[tex]X(x)=e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}v(x)[/tex] and put it into the original DE equation (for X(x)). You should get the DE for v(x) which you can solve by power series method. And there should be some constrains on the recursion...

1. What is the Schroedinger Equation and how is it used in solving the anisotropic oscillator potential?

The Schroedinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a physical system changes with time. In the context of an anisotropic oscillator potential, the equation is used to calculate the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions of the system.

2. What is an anisotropic oscillator potential?

An anisotropic oscillator potential is a potential energy function that describes the behavior of a particle in a system with different degrees of freedom in different directions. This means that the potential energy of the particle varies depending on its position and direction of motion.

3. How is the anisotropic oscillator potential different from a regular oscillator potential?

A regular oscillator potential is isotropic, meaning it has the same characteristics in all directions. In contrast, an anisotropic oscillator potential is not symmetric and may have different properties in different directions.

4. What is the significance of solving the Schroedinger Equation for an anisotropic oscillator potential?

Solving the Schroedinger Equation for an anisotropic oscillator potential allows us to understand the behavior of particles in systems with varying degrees of freedom. This is important in fields such as quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science where anisotropic systems are common.

5. How is the solution to the Schroedinger Equation for an anisotropic oscillator potential obtained?

The solution to the Schroedinger Equation for an anisotropic oscillator potential is obtained by using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and perturbation theory. These methods allow us to solve the equation and determine the energy levels and wave functions of the system.