Infinitely Solvable Matrix: When the Bottom Row is 0,0,1,1

• Thread starter Nope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the system has infinitely solutions if the bottom row is 0,0,0,0, which means if you can't subtract anything from the top row.
Nope

Homework Statement

the system have infinitely solutions when the bottom row is 0,0,0,0, what If the bottom row of the matrix is 0,0,1,1
X,Y,Z,
can i still say
the system have infinitly solution?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this system doesn't have infinitely many solutions. You can subtract multiples of the 3rd row from the 1st and 2nd rows to find the solution.

Nope said:

Homework Statement

the system have infinitely solutions when the bottom row is 0,0,0,0, what If the bottom row of the matrix is 0,0,1,1
X,Y,Z,
can i still say
the system have infinitly solution?

Well, how many unknowns will you be left with in comparison to how many equations you have?
If the number of unknowns > number of equations, there's infinite solutions since you'll have a free variable.

Yea, I mean if you can't subtract or do anything on the bottom row, 0,0,1,1
so X3=X3,
is it infinite solutions?

Nope said:
Yea, I mean if you can't subtract or do anything on the bottom row, 0,0,1,1
so X3=X3,
You might want to explain what the matrix you wrote down means. The way I understand it, the last line is solved by x3 = 1.

thx for replying
the matrix ...I just make it up,
sorry, it a bad example
I was trying to show an example of the bottom row is 0,0,1,1.
My main question is that
if i can't perform any row operation on the bottom row, 0,0,1,1
so X3=X3,
or there's no such matrix exist?

Last edited:
Can you write down what you think the matrix means? The way I understand it, it represents the set of equations

[tex] x_1 + 2 x_3 =3, [/tex]
[tex]x_2 + 2 x_3 = 3, [/tex]
[tex] x_3 = 1. [/tex]

If it means something else, please explain.

it was suppose to be in the form x+y+z=any number
x+2z=3
just forget the matrix I wrote

Nevermind, I just figure it out... sorry, i was just confused on something

What is a quick matrix question?

A quick matrix question is a type of survey question that presents multiple rows and columns of response options in a grid format. It allows respondents to select one or more options from each row, making it a more efficient way to collect data on multiple variables at once.

When should I use a quick matrix question?

A quick matrix question is useful when you want to gather data on several related variables in a concise manner. It works well for collecting opinions, preferences, and ratings on a scale. However, it may not be appropriate for collecting detailed or open-ended responses.

How do I create a quick matrix question?

Most survey software platforms have a feature that allows you to easily create a quick matrix question. Simply select the quick matrix question option and add your rows and columns of response options. You can also customize the layout and design of the grid to fit your needs.

What are the advantages of using a quick matrix question?

There are several advantages to using a quick matrix question, including saving time and effort for both the respondent and the researcher. It also allows for easy comparison and analysis of responses across multiple variables. Additionally, using a grid format can make the survey more visually appealing and engaging for respondents.

Are there any limitations to using a quick matrix question?

While a quick matrix question can be an effective way to collect data, it may not be suitable for all types of surveys. It may not be appropriate for collecting detailed or open-ended responses, and some respondents may find the grid format confusing or overwhelming. It is important to consider the purpose and audience of your survey before deciding to use a quick matrix question.