Find the Kernel & Image of A: $\mathbb{R}^\infty \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^\infty$

In summary: ooh, i didn't get that far :redface: …i sort of assumed that if you managed to find the kernel, the image would be easy …would you like to show us how far you've got? :smile:
arestes

Homework Statement

Find the kernel and image of the linear function [tex] A: \mathbb{R}^\infty \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^\infty[/tex] defined on the vector space (with usual operations) of sequences of real numbers [tex] x \in \mathbb{R}^\infty[/tex], [tex] x = (x_1, x_2,...) [/tex]. given by [tex]A(x) = (y_1, y_2, ...)[/tex] with [tex] y_k = x_{2k+1} - 2x_k [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex] Ker(A) = \{ x \in \mathbb{R}^\infty : Ax = (0, 0, 0,...) \}[/tex]
and the standard notation for the image of A

The Attempt at a Solution

For the kernel I tried to check formulas to solve finite difference equations, since I need to solve [tex] x_{2k+1} - 2x_k =0[/tex] but I can only find the usual method when we have k+1, k+2 or k+r terms involved, not when one of the terms is of the form [tex] x_{ak+b}[/tex] when a is not 1.

I did it by hand, plugging in values and I see a pattern, and I know that after a while i could come up with a general form for a basis of the (as I can see) infinite dimensional Kernel. I would like to solve it more decently.

For the second part (the image of A) I am still lost, since I was hoping to get a general solution and from there see which sequences are not allowed, somehow... Does anyone know how to solve this recurrence equation?
Or at least how to solve this problem, if the solving of the equation is not absolutely necessary? (but I would love to learn how to solve these equations).
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi arestes! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

the key is to find the pattern for the indices:

k, 2k+1, 2(2k+1) + 1 etc :smile:

Hi Tiny Tim, I was doing what you said for the kernel. Any ideas for the image?
thanks! :D

hi arestes! :wink:
arestes said:
Hi Tiny Tim, I was doing what you said for the kernel. Any ideas for the image?
thanks! :D

ooh, i didn't get that far :redface:

i sort of assumed that if you managed to find the kernel, the image would be easy …

would you like to show us how far you've got? :smile:

What does "Find the Kernel & Image of A: $\mathbb{R}^\infty \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^\infty$" mean?

This phrase refers to finding the set of all input vectors (known as the kernel) and the set of all output vectors (known as the image) of a linear transformation represented by the matrix A, where both the input and output spaces are infinite-dimensional real vector spaces.

What is the purpose of finding the kernel and image of a linear transformation?

Finding the kernel and image of a linear transformation helps us to understand its properties and behavior. It allows us to determine if the transformation is one-to-one (injective) or onto (surjective), which are important concepts in linear algebra.

How do you find the kernel and image of a linear transformation?

To find the kernel of a linear transformation, we solve the homogeneous system of equations represented by the matrix A. The solutions to this system form the kernel. To find the image, we apply the linear transformation to the basis vectors of the input space and determine the span of the resulting vectors.

What are some applications of finding the kernel and image of a linear transformation?

The concepts of kernel and image are fundamental in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and signal processing. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze the behavior of dynamical systems, and filter signals in communication systems.

Can the kernel and image of a linear transformation be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the kernel or image (or both) of a linear transformation to be empty. This happens when the transformation is either one-to-one or onto. In the case of an infinite-dimensional vector space, the kernel and image can also be non-empty but still have infinite dimensions.