Please help: Normal force for box on an inclined plane = mg/cos(theta)?

In summary: This was a really tough question. You're right that there should be a force due to friction pointing back up the incline, but I don't know how to calculate it. Thanks for trying to help!In summary, a box sits on an inclined plane and experiences a normal force. The normal force is the sum of the force of gravity and the force of friction.
igul222

Homework Statement

A box sits on an inclined plane. Given its mass and the angle of the incline, what is the magnitude of the normal force?

Homework Equations

I don't know- my understanding is N=mgcos(theta), but my physics textbook says otherwise...

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at two different solutions (different reference frames, I think). I don't know which one is correct, or why the other one is wrong.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/413086/Screen%20shot%202011-01-31%20at%2012.26.50%20AM.png

UPDATE: I found my problem- the box is accelerating in one direction. Helpful link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=157790

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should there not also be a force due to friction pointing back up the slope? When you put that into your free body diagram have a look at all the individual x and y components of each force, F_n, f_s and F_g.

If you'll notice in either coordinate system way of looking at it (left side is x-oriented along incline, right side is x-y conventional), you have an unbalanced force in the +x-direction (+x down the ramp or to the right, respectively).

You appear to be using Newton's Laws, but you've neglected friction (the only thing keeping the box from sliding down the ramp). After you include that (remember, Friction is FUN, i.e., f_s=mu_s*F_n), you can appropriately solve for the normal force.

The really good news is that you drew in your angles correctly. That's probably one of the stickiest points for many intro physics students.

Yes, that's it- the box is accelerating down the plane. Thanks everyone!

My only problem--and I might be wrong because I'm new to physics-- is that your lines of force above the box (your right triangle) might be drawn incorrectly. I think the line of force representing your force of gravity should be drawn as the hypothenus (sp.?) of the triangle, and the line of force connecting your force of gravity and your normal force should be drawn parallel to the slant of the inclined plane. That way, cosine of theta = normal / mg, and then the normal force equals mg * cosine (theta). The way you have drawn it cosine of theta = mg / normal which gives normal = mg / cos theta, which I think is wrong. Or am I wrong?

1. What is the normal force for a box on an inclined plane?

The normal force for a box on an inclined plane is equal to the weight of the box multiplied by the cosine of the angle of incline.

2. How do you calculate the normal force on an inclined plane?

The normal force can be calculated by using the formula FN = mg/cos(theta), where m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of incline.

3. Why is the normal force important when dealing with an inclined plane?

The normal force is important because it is the perpendicular force that balances out the weight of the box on the inclined plane. It prevents the box from sliding down the incline due to gravity.

4. What happens to the normal force as the angle of incline increases?

As the angle of incline increases, the normal force decreases. This is because the weight of the box is distributed more parallel to the incline, resulting in a smaller normal force needed to balance it out.

5. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of the box on an inclined plane?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of the box on an inclined plane. It can only be equal to or less than the weight of the box.