Converging Infinite Series: Solving ln(1-1/k^2) = -ln(2)

In summary, to show that ln(1 - 1/k^2)= - ln(2), you can use the fact that a^2 - b^2 = (a - b)(a + b) and apply it to the natural logarithms. After canceling out terms, you can sum from k = 2 to n and then take the limit as n tends to infinity to prove the equation.
jokerzz
I have to show that ln(1 - 1/k^2)= - ln(2)

I took LCM and separated the equation using ln(A/B) = lnA - lnB

How should i proceed now?

Physics news on Phys.org
?? Can you state your problem correctly ? Some summing or product symbols are definitely missing.

bigubau said:
?? Can you state your problem correctly ? Some summing or product symbols are definitely missing.

sigma k=2 to infinite is also there

jokerzz said:
I have to show that ln(1 - 1/k^2)= - ln(2)

I took LCM and separated the equation using ln(A/B) = lnA - lnB

How should i proceed now?

You describe your process too vaguely. But yes, you seem to be on the right track. :) Can you show us where you get to, so that we can check your work, and guide you from there?

You know the Difference of Two Squares: a2 - b2 = (a - b) (a + b) right? Maybe that should help.

Get rid of the natural logarithms. You'll get an infinite product in the LHS and a simple fraction in the RHS. From then on it's trivial.

VietDao29 said:
You describe your process too vaguely. But yes, you seem to be on the right track. :) Can you show us where you get to, so that we can check your work, and guide you from there?

You know the Difference of Two Squares: a2 - b2 = (a - b) (a + b) right? Maybe that should help.

Ok so now the equation is: ln(k-1)+ln(k+1) - 2ln(k)

so now what do i need to do? Apply the limit k-> infinity? But that wouldn't prove anything

jokerzz said:

so now what do i need to do? Apply the limit k-> infinity? But that wouldn't prove anything

It's summation, so there should be some terms you can cancel out. :)

You can try summing from k = 2 to n first, and then take the limit as n grows without bound.

VietDao29 said:
It's summation, so there should be some terms you can cancel out. :)

You can try summing from k = 2 to n first, and then take the limit as n grows without bound.

Im sorry but my concepts in this topic arnt very clear. Can you please elaborate a little?

jokerzz said:

Your series would look something like:
[tex]\sum_{k = 2} ^ {\infty} \left[ \ln(k - 1) + \ln(k + 1) - 2 \ln (k) \right][/tex], right?

Instead of summing to infinity, you should sum from k = 2 to n first, then take the limit as n tends to infinity. What I mean is this:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\left\{ \sum_{k = 2} ^ {n} \left[ \ln(k - 1) + \ln(k + 1) - 2 \ln (k) \right] \right\}[/tex]

You can write out some of the first terms to see the pattern.
ln(1) + ln(3) - 2ln(2) + ln(2) + ln(4) - 2ln(3) + ...

What should you do now is to try to cancel out the terms. Hint: Most of them can be canceled out.

VietDao29 said:
Your series would look something like:
[tex]\sum_{k = 2} ^ {\infty} \left[ \ln(k - 1) + \ln(k + 1) - 2 \ln (k) \right][/tex], right?

Instead of summing to infinity, you should sum from k = 2 to n first, then take the limit as n tends to infinity. What I mean is this:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\left\{ \sum_{k = 2} ^ {n} \left[ \ln(k - 1) + \ln(k + 1) - 2 \ln (k) \right] \right\}[/tex]

You can write out some of the first terms to see the pattern.
ln(1) + ln(3) - 2ln(2) + ln(2) + ln(4) - 2ln(3) + ...

What should you do now is to try to cancel out the terms. Hint: Most of them can be canceled out.

Yeah all the terms accept -ln2 are cancelling out. But isn't this method a little crude? Isn't there any other way to prove it?

jokerzz said:
Yeah all the terms accept -ln2 are cancelling out. But isn't this method a little crude? Isn't there any other way to prove it?

First, as I mentioned above, you should try summing to n first. There are 2 more terms that are not canceled out. And then, take the limit as n tends to infinity.

VietDao29 said:
First, as I mentioned above, you should try summing to n first. There are 2 more terms that are not canceled out. And then, take the limit as n tends to infinity.

Finally I get it! Thanks a lot dude!

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is typically represented in the form of ∑an, where an represents each term in the series.

What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is an infinite series that has a finite sum. This means that as you add more and more terms, the sum of the series approaches a certain value.

What is a divergent series?

A divergent series is an infinite series that does not have a finite sum. This means that as you add more and more terms, the sum of the series either approaches infinity or oscillates between different values.

What is the difference between a geometric series and an arithmetic series?

A geometric series is a type of infinite series where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, called the common ratio. An arithmetic series, on the other hand, is a type of infinite series where each term is obtained by adding a constant number, called the common difference, to the previous term.

How do you determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series to determine if the sum of the series approaches a finite value or not.