DC Motor / Current Control and Torque/Speed Relationship

In summary, the maximum speed of a DC motor being driven by a current source with a known inertia load can be calculated by considering the torque produced by the constant motor current, along with any frictional losses, windage, and output shaft load. The motor will continue to accelerate until the back EMF is equal to the maximum voltage that the servo amplifier can supply. However, the theoretical speed limit may be limited by the imperfect output voltage compliance of the motor current controller.
samsharp99
Hello,

First time posting here as I havn't been able to find a suitable answer to my question to help me understand some issues I am having with DC motors. I am trying to calculate the maximum speed and acceleration of a dc motor being driven by a current source with a known inertia.

I have a DC motor connected to a load (a mass of known inertia) through a harmonic drive and belt drive. The motor is connected to a servo amplifier that's operating in torque mode i.e. it provides a current to the motor proportional to the voltage input. The current is limited to 2A.

I understand that the torque output of the motor is proportional to the output via torque = current * torque constant.

So if I apply the maximum current (2A) to the motor, this generates a torque which causes the motor/load to accelerate.

I also understand that the motor produces a back emf, proportional to the speed of the motor.

Am I correct in saying that the motor will continue to accelerate until the back EMF is equal to the maximum voltage that the servo amplifier can supply? If this is the case, how can I calculate the maximum speed of the motor with the known inertia load?

I also understand that there are a number of friction effects (static + velocity dependent) that will also effect the maximum speed by removing torque from the system, but I'm not sure how they fit into the equation?

I am trying to understand the relationship between the current input to the motor and the acceleration, torque and speed produced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
samsharp99 said:
Thanks in advance for your help!
See what happens when you pay in advance. I am sure you have worked out the answer by now, so I will provide an answer for those who find this more than 8 years after you posed the original question.

samsharp99 said:
Am I correct in saying that the motor will continue to accelerate until the back EMF is equal to the maximum voltage that the servo amplifier can supply? If this is the case, how can I calculate the maximum speed of the motor with the known inertia load?
The critical thing is that the constant motor current produces a constant torque. Along with inertia, that determines the initial acceleration, but it does not decide the maximum RPM.

Although the maximum RPM may be limited by the imperfect output voltage compliance of the motor current controller, the theoretical speed limit will be when the sum of torques due to frictional losses, windage and output shaft load are equal to the motor torque.

The controlled current that flows through the motor will develop a voltage drop due to the (hopefully constant) winding resistance. The generated back EMF is proportional to the RPM and will be added to the resistive drop to give the motor terminal voltage. That terminal voltage will only be about twice the rated motor voltage and needs to be sourced by the motor controller.

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC (direct current) motor is an electrical device that converts direct current electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) and operates on the principle of Lorentz force, where a current-carrying conductor experiences a force in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How does a DC motor work?

When a current is passed through the stator of a DC motor, it creates a magnetic field. This field interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing the rotor to rotate. The direction of rotation can be controlled by changing the direction of the current flow in the stator.

3. What is current control in a DC motor?

Current control in a DC motor refers to the ability to regulate the amount of current flowing through the stator of the motor. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using a variable resistor, pulse width modulation (PWM), or a motor controller. By controlling the current, the speed and torque of the motor can be adjusted.

4. What is the torque/speed relationship in a DC motor?

The torque/speed relationship in a DC motor is an inverse relationship. This means that as the speed of the motor increases, the torque decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that the back EMF (electromotive force) in the motor increases with speed, causing a decrease in the net voltage applied to the motor and consequently reducing the torque.

5. How is the torque and speed of a DC motor controlled?

The torque and speed of a DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current supplied to the motor through current control methods. By increasing the current, the torque of the motor can be increased, and by decreasing the current, the speed can be increased. Additionally, using a motor controller allows for precise control of the motor's speed and torque through various control algorithms and feedback mechanisms.