Introduction to order parameter fields

In summary, the conversation discussed a student's interest in reading more about order parameter fields and their classification using homotopy. Recommendations were given for books to read, including Nakahara's "Geometry, Topology, and Physics" and Fradkin's "Field Theories of Condensed Matter Physics." However, it was noted that these may cover more than what the student is looking for. Instead, a review by Mirmin on the classification of topological defects was recommended.
homology
Hi folks,

I'm taking a class in statistical mechanics out of Sethna's text. Part of the course involves student presentations. I've settled on his chapter on order parameters, broken symmetry and topology. Its a relatively short chapter and I'd like to read some more.

I'm looking for some more to read about order parameter fields at an introductory grad level and how calculations using homotopy can be used to classify defects.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are sections on defects in nematic liquid crystals and textures in superfluid He-3 in Nakahara, Geometry, Topology, and Physics. I'm sure many more topics are covered in Fradkin's Field Theories of Condensed Matter Physics, but that might be a bit tougher to dive into if you don't have some field theory background.

I have 'toyed' a bit with field theory so am familiar with some of the ideas, though I haven't done many calculations. I'll check out the books, thank you.

I think that the references fzero suggest are very good, but might not be excactly what you are looking for. Nakahara covers too much geometry/topology beyond what you need and might be hard to grasp anything useful in short time. Fradkin is more concerned with strongly correlated electron systems, while topological defects play a role in some parts, he dosn't cover what you want systematically. But both books are highly recommendable thou!

For (homotopy) classification of topological defects in order parameters, Mirmins review is a classic and highly praised among physicists! Click http://rmp.aps.org/abstract/RMP/v51/i3/p591_1" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow yes...I just grabbed it thanks! This looks good.

What is an order parameter field?

An order parameter field is a mathematical concept used in physics and other scientific fields to describe the state of a system. It represents the average value of a physical quantity over a specific region of space and time.

How is an order parameter field different from a traditional order parameter?

A traditional order parameter is a single value that describes the overall state of a system. An order parameter field, on the other hand, provides a more detailed description by assigning a value to each point in space and time. This allows for a more nuanced understanding of the system's behavior.

What are some common applications of order parameter fields?

Order parameter fields are commonly used in the study of phase transitions, pattern formation, and other complex systems. They can also be used to model physical phenomena such as magnetism, superconductivity, and liquid crystals.

How are order parameter fields mathematically represented?

Order parameter fields can be represented using various mathematical equations, depending on the specific system being studied. In general, they are often described using partial differential equations or statistical mechanics.

What are the limitations of using order parameter fields?

While order parameter fields can provide valuable insights into complex systems, they are not always applicable or accurate. They may not fully capture the behavior of a system, and their mathematical representation can be challenging to interpret and solve. Additionally, they may not accurately depict the behavior of systems at the microscopic level.