Investigating an Unexpected Ice Spike Formation

In summary, the conversation revolved around an ice spike that formed in a plastic container filled with water and placed in a refrigerator freezer. The temperature control was turned all the way down and the water used may have been deionized. The individual also mentioned working in a lab where they frequently froze DI water, but this was the only time an ice spike occurred. The conversation also included links to threads discussing ice spikes.
OwtLyur
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on how this ice spike formed?

All I did was fill a 4" tall, 4" diameter plastic container with water and put it in a normal refridgerator freezer. I came back the next morning and found what you see in the photos.

I likely used deionized water but I don't remember this for sure. The freezer's temperature control was turned all the way down (the temperature of which I do not remember).

-ol

Attachments

• WaterSpikeView1.jpg
    WaterSpikeView1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 381
  • WaterSpikeView2.jpg
    WaterSpikeView2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 333
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Thanks again for the links. I had a similar thought as well.

I was confused a bit because of the change of state. I was unsure how the generating ice would effect the inner volume.

I worked in a lab where we froze DI water often. I did this for 5 years and this was the only time it happened. This ice spike measures about 3".

Anyway, thanks again!

-ol

iviamay

Hello oliviamay,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the unexpected ice spike formation. It is certainly a fascinating phenomenon and there are a few possible explanations for its occurrence.

One possible explanation is the presence of impurities in the water. Even if you used deionized water, it is possible that there were still small impurities present that acted as nucleation points for the ice to form around. These impurities could have been introduced during the filling of the container or from the freezer itself.

Another possible explanation is the temperature of the freezer. Even though the temperature control was turned all the way down, it is possible that there were fluctuations in the temperature that caused the water to freeze in a non-uniform manner, leading to the formation of the ice spike.

It is also worth noting that the shape and material of the container may have played a role in the formation of the ice spike. Plastic containers are known to have a lower thermal conductivity compared to other materials, which could have resulted in uneven freezing and the formation of the spike.

To further investigate this phenomenon, it would be helpful to replicate the experiment with controlled variables such as the type of water used, the temperature of the freezer, and the material of the container. This could help to determine the exact conditions needed for the ice spike formation.

I hope this helps in understanding the unexpected ice spike formation. Keep exploring and experimenting!

1. What is an unexpected ice spike formation?

An unexpected ice spike formation is a phenomenon that occurs when a column of ice is formed on the surface of a body of water, such as a lake or pond, in freezing temperatures. Unlike typical ice formations, which form from the bottom up, ice spikes form from the top down and can reach several inches in height.

2. What causes an ice spike formation?

The exact cause of ice spike formation is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of factors, including the presence of dissolved gases in the water, wind and wave action, and temperature fluctuations. These factors can create a conical shape on the surface of the water, which then freezes and forms the ice spike.

3. Where is ice spike formation most commonly seen?

Ice spike formation is most commonly seen in colder regions of the world, particularly in areas with calm, still bodies of water. It can also occur in artificial settings, such as in ice cube trays or in freezers, but these formations are often smaller and less pronounced.

4. Can ice spike formation be artificially created?

Yes, it is possible to artificially create ice spike formations by controlling the temperature, dissolved gases, and other conditions in a controlled environment. This is often done in research settings to better understand the phenomenon and its underlying causes.

5. What are the potential implications of studying ice spike formation?

Studying ice spike formation can provide valuable insights into the physics of freezing and the behavior of water under different conditions. It can also have practical applications, such as in improving weather forecasting and understanding the effects of climate change on frozen bodies of water.