Who will win the Republican nomination?

• News
  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, the Republican nomination is wide open, and will be decided by who can establish themselves as the most credible candidate and who can raise the most money.

Who will win the Republican nomination?

• Michele Bachman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haley Barbour

• Herman Cain

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Mitch Daniels

• Newt Gingrich

• Mike Huckabee

• John Huntsman

• Sarah Palin

• Tim Pawlenty

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Mitt Romney

• Other

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's time for candidates to lay the ground work for the 2012 primaries if they want to have a shot in 2012. Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

My top ten (which is why they made the poll):

1. Tim Pawlenty. Pros: Actually laying the organizational groundwork for a campaign, which puts him ahead of all but Romney. Can appeal to Tea Partiers, as well as establishment Republicans. Cons: Lacks name recognition of other top contenders, but that may not be such a flaw. Very strong candidate that's actually putting in the work.

2. Mitt Romney. Pros: In 5 of the last 8 non-incumbent nomination races, the runner-up from the previous non-incumbent nomination has won and Romney was the popular runner-up. Most money and best campaign organization. Cons: Actually, he was only 'co-runner-up' and 2 of 3 exceptions to the runner-up rule involved 'co-runner-up' situations. Romney wasn't credible running as a social conservative in '08, but can Romney withstand Tea Partiers if he runs as himself?

3. Mike Huckabee. Pros: Finished as 'co-runner-up' in spite of starting campaign with virtually no money. Best personality on campaign trail in '08. As former Baptist minister, should appeal to social conservatives. Cons: Not laying any groundwork for a campaign - one wonders if he'll even run.

4. Mitch Daniels. Pros: Conservative enough to win Republican nomination, but, as a governor, few enough positions to appear as a moderate in a general election. Cons: Needs to wear a hat to look Presidential and that could be a problem at formal events. Actually, a pretty strong candidate.

5. John Huntsman. Pros: If Romney uses the chameleon strategy again, then Huntsman is the only moderate in the race, which could give him a route to the nomination. Cons: Huntsman is the only moderate in the race because there are no moderates left in the Republican Party.

6. Herman Cain. Pros: Would be the charismatic Tea Party darling that comes from nowhere - in other words, the Huckabee of the '12 nomination race. Would be popular with the business crowd. Eliminates any race issues. Cons: He's never, ever held political office.

7. Sarah Palin. Pros: It takes a long time to evacuate from a sinking ship, especially when half the occupants refuse to abandon ship. Cons: She's the clueless type of person that all but the most die-hard supporters eventually get tired of defending.

8. Newt Gingrich. Pros: At least people know his name. Cons: He's had 20 years to make his move and hasn't.

9. Haley Barbour. Pros: A successful governor. Cons: Just do a google search on his name. A Barbour/Cain ticket or a Cain/Barbour ticket would make an interesting combo.

10. Michele Bachman. Pros: Someone has to take Palin's place and annoy us all. Cons: She may not even be sane.

(And, I know Ron Paul will generate quite a few other votes, but, seriously, he really doesn't have a chance of winning any election involving people that aren't internet addicts.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to cast my vote, here, for Tim Pawlenty. Sure, he doesn't have name recognition now, but I think he will.

I pretty much agree with your rankings, Bob. If the GOP wants to absolutely crash and burn in 2012, they should run Bachman or Palin, or better yet, Bachman AND Palin. That ticket might get 5% of the popular vote. I'd put Barbour above either of them, and Newt just above him on the list.

turbo-1 said:
Bachman AND Palin

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i think i might need to look into Pawlenty et al a bit before i actually vote. but currently, i think Romney is a no-go. he's as bland as sodium free saltines, and whoever goes up against Obama will need a certain amount of charisma and people-skills. for this reason, and others, i do like Huckabee, but i certainly don't trust him on middle-east issues. i think Huckabee will be blinded by religious prophesies and give the israelis everything they ask for, making things even worse for us down the road. I'm also not sure the rich elite of the republican party will feel like they can control a Huckabee. a Romney they can capture, but Romney can't win. 7-down are not serious candidates.

Some UK commentators are suggesting this is a contest the serious candidates don't want to win, or even take part in. Better to keep their powder dry till 2016 and let a B or C list candidate get trashed by a sitting president who can outspend them without even trying, and blame negative GOP tactics for everything that might go wrong since the mid-term elections.

Proton Soup said:
i think i might need to look into Pawlenty et al a bit before i actually vote.

I wish I had before I'd answered this poll! He's got a solid track record.

Name recognition doesn't mean much at this point, IMO. Had anyone heard of some guy named "Barack Obama" this far out from the last presidential election? Certainly people who follow politics (like PFers who frequent P&WA :biggrin:), but not your average Joe Sixpack.

lisab said:
Name recognition doesn't mean much at this point, IMO. Had anyone heard of some guy named "Barack Obama" this far out from the last presidential election? Certainly people who follow politics (like PFers who frequent P&WA :biggrin:), but not your average Joe Sixpack.

Yes, and that's why there was so much excitement going in. His keynote speech at the 2008 DNC greatly enhanced his national profile and the "skinny kid with a funny name" became a legitimate contender despite having held national office for only two years. I think it was around this far out from the past election that he announced that he was running (and this go-around, only Newt Gingrich has done that). My point is that while Clinton was the presumptive candidate (along with Edwards), Obama didn't completely come out of nowhere.

Despite his own youth and come-out-of-nowhere status, Bill Clinton remarked to Ted Kennedy that "this kid should be bringing us coffee!" And maybe he was channeling his brother, but that was the tipping point for Ted and a few weeks later (about 8 or 9 months out), he endorsed Obama.

For his whole political career, stronger and more recognizable candidates running against Obama have shot themselves in their own feet, or screwed up so royally as to basically kill their chances (John Edwards, Jack Ryan, Alan Keyes, and arguably even John McCain with his choice of VP). So I agree, there's plenty of time yet for some of the lesser-knowns and not-listeds to maybe wait out the demise of the stronger candidates there.

Given that today is St. Patrick's, perhaps Obama's success was due to the luck of the Irish? :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplZ_taHXLM

EDIT: Ooops, I meant the 2004 DNC!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Democratic_National_Convention

Last edited:
Didn't know about the coffee remark!

PS: Alan Keyes didn't shoot himself in the foot. He never really had any feet to stand on in the first place.

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't know about the coffee remark!

PS: Alan Keyes didn't shoot himself in the foot. He never really had any feet to stand on in the first place.

It came out in Halperin and Heilemann's Game Change:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31302.html

I wish it would've had more from the McCain camp, but you go with what you've got. The revealed extent and duration of the Edwards mess was truly frightening (in that he kept on campaigning for months even as his family life and campaign were melting down).

You're right that Alan Keyes didn't have a chance, but I thought that he'd started foot-mouthing even before running (i.e. how hard he harped on Hillary Clinton for carpetbagging, and then proceeding to do the same). I recall an interview I read where he came off diplomatic and centrist. Had he kept on doing that throughout the campaign, it might've been closer--it wouldn't have been Alan Keyes, but it might've been closer.

Unlike Keyes, Bachmann doesn't seem to have enough self-awareness to tone things down. And unlike Huckabee, no conciliatory tones or middle-ground. If the Republicans keep on squeezing out moderates and traitors-du-jour, maybe she *will* end up the nominee?

1. Who are the top candidates for the Republican nomination?

The top candidates for the Republican nomination are currently President Donald Trump, former Governor Bill Weld, and former Congressman Joe Walsh.

2. What factors determine who will win the Republican nomination?

The factors that determine who will win the Republican nomination include voter support, campaign funding, media coverage, and performance in debates and primaries.

3. Is it possible for a candidate to win the Republican nomination without winning the popular vote?

Yes, it is possible for a candidate to win the Republican nomination without winning the popular vote. The Republican party uses a delegate system in which delegates are allocated based on the results of primaries and caucuses, and these delegates ultimately decide the nominee at the Republican National Convention.

4. What states are crucial for a candidate to win in order to secure the Republican nomination?

There is no definitive list of states that are crucial for a candidate to win in order to secure the Republican nomination. However, states with larger populations and more delegates, such as California and Texas, typically play a significant role in the nomination process.

5. Can a candidate who is not currently running for the Republican nomination still win?

It is highly unlikely for a candidate who is not currently running for the Republican nomination to win. However, if none of the current candidates receive a majority of delegates, it is possible for a new candidate to enter the race and potentially secure the nomination at the Republican National Convention.