Complex Analysis: Proving a function is equivalent to its series representation

In summary, the function f(z) = (pi/sin(pi*z))^2 is being compared to the summation of g(z) = 1/(z-n)^2 for n ranging from negative infinity to infinity. It is shown that their difference is 1) pole-free and analytic, 2) of period 1, and 3) bounded in the strip 0 < x < 1. This leads to the conclusion that they are equivalent. To prove that their difference has no poles, it is important to note that the two functions have exactly the same poles, which cancel out in the Laurent series expansion of f(x) around x=n. To expand 1/sin(z)^2 with the Laurent series, the
Grothard

Homework Statement

Compare the function f(z) = (pi/sin(pi*z))^2 to the summation of g(z) = 1/(z-n)^2 for n ranging from negative infinity to infinity. Show that their difference is
1) pole-free, i.e. analytic
2) of period 1
3) bounded in the strip 0 < x < 1

Conclude that they are equivalent

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 2 is easy to show; I don't need any help with that one.

I'm working on part 1 right now. I noticed that in both equations there exist poles whenever z is an integer, and those are the only poles. This means that the two functions have exactly the same poles. I'm not sure how to use that to prove that their difference has no poles, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The poles have order two at integer n. You want to show the Laurent series expansion of f(x) around x=n takes the form 1/(z-n)^2+analytic stuff. So the poles cancel.

Alright, that makes sense. How would I go about expanding 1/sin(z)^2 with the Laurent series? Do I make it 1/(1-cos(z)^2)? I'm having a hard time putting it into the form 1/(z-n)^2

Grothard said:
Alright, that makes sense. How would I go about expanding 1/sin(z)^2 with the Laurent series? Do I make it 1/(1-cos(z)^2)? I'm having a hard time putting it into the form 1/(z-n)^2

Just worry about the pole at z=0. You can show the others are the same. Use the taylor series for sin(z).

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex variables. It involves analyzing the properties and behavior of functions that are defined on the complex plane.

2. What does it mean for a function to be equivalent to its series representation?

When a function is equivalent to its series representation, it means that the function can be written as an infinite sum of simpler functions, known as a power series. This allows us to approximate the function using a finite number of terms in the series.

3. How do you prove that a function is equivalent to its series representation?

To prove that a function is equivalent to its series representation, we use techniques from complex analysis such as contour integration and Cauchy's integral formula. We also use the properties of power series, such as convergence and analyticity, to show that the function can be represented as an infinite sum of simpler functions.

4. What are some applications of proving a function is equivalent to its series representation?

Proving a function is equivalent to its series representation is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics. It allows us to approximate otherwise complicated functions and make them more manageable for analysis. It also helps in solving differential equations, calculating integrals, and understanding the behavior of functions in the complex plane.

5. Are there any limitations to using series representations for functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using series representations for functions. For example, not all functions have a convergent power series representation. In addition, the convergence of a series may be limited to a certain region in the complex plane, known as the radius of convergence. Beyond this region, the series may not accurately represent the function. It is important to carefully consider the convergence and applicability of a series representation when using it to approximate a function.