Bush solution to Social Security?

• News
  • Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary, Secretary of Health and Human Resources Tommy Thompson said that the flu vaccine shortage is actually a "blessing in disguise" that will solve any problem with Social Security funding in the future.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is the flu vaccine shortage really a solution to the Social Security problem? :rofl:

http://tomburka.com/archives2/2004_10.php#000675 (Caution: humor)

Vaccine Shortage Solution To Social Security Problem, Says Thompson

Secretary of Health and Human Resources Tommy Thompson said today that the flu vaccine shortage was actually a "blessing in disguise" that will solve any problem with Social Security funding in the future.

"John Kerry is complaining that Bush hasn't protected the Social Security trust fund for our children," said Thompson, "And now we're pretty sure that the trust fund will always be around."

Thompson said that the flu vaccine shortage thus demonstrated the kind of "careful, long-range planning" that the Bush Administration brings to bear on difficult problems. "One or two more vaccine shortages, and we'll be able to put away that so-called lockbox," Thompson boasted.

Thompson was ordered to make a statement about the vaccine shortage by Karl Rove, who called to remind him that "sick people vote, too."

"Not if they can't make it to the polls," said Thompson.

Physics news on Phys.org
The guy's name is Thomson, not Thompson. That lockbox line is hilarious. A modest proposal. Do I sense him becoming a little frustrated with his role as a Bush yes-man?

I think you ought to tell folks that this is a joke. Someone might actually believe it...I nearly did !

Gokul43201 said:
I think you ought to tell folks that this is a joke. Someone might actually believe it...I nearly did !
When I saw the "(Caution: humor)" I realized it was in fun...but then I saw a serious response and questions whether the humor was that someone was actually saying this Ala nader or if it really was "humor"...
At any rate, I would suggest "Thompson" has it wrong...the policies that created the shortfall were started way back during the Clinton admin...and since they were all in the opinion that Gore would win ...I think it surely must be what Kerry was referring to in the debate when he said that they had "fixed medicare" :rofl:

1. What was Bush's proposed solution to Social Security?

Bush proposed a plan to partially privatize Social Security, allowing workers to divert a portion of their payroll taxes into private investment accounts.

2. How would this plan affect Social Security benefits?

The plan would reduce the guaranteed benefits provided by Social Security, as workers would be relying on their investment accounts for a portion of their retirement income.

3. What were the potential risks associated with this plan?

There were concerns that the stock market could experience a downturn, resulting in a loss of retirement savings for individuals. Additionally, the plan did not address the long-term funding issues of Social Security.

4. Did Bush's plan ever come to fruition?

No, Bush's plan was met with significant opposition and did not gain enough support in Congress to be implemented.

5. What other solutions have been proposed for Social Security?

Other proposed solutions include increasing the retirement age, raising the payroll tax, and reducing benefits for high-income earners. Some also advocate for a complete overhaul of the system, such as implementing a universal basic income or creating a mandatory retirement savings program.