Maximum Height of Vertically Thrown Rock

• Thread starter jojo711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, the conversation discusses using equations to find the velocity and maximum height of a rock thrown straight up at 33.4 m/s after 2.1 seconds. The equations used are V=Vo+at, X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2, and V^2=Vo2+2a(X-Xo), with a reminder to use a negative value for acceleration (-9.8) when calculating the maximum height.
jojo711

Homework Statement

Brad tosses a rock straight up at 33.4 m/s. What is the rock's velocity after 2.1 seconds?

Homework Equations

V=Vo+at
X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2
V^2=Vo2+2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation. V=33.4m/s+9.8(2.1) 9.8 being the acceleration due to gravity. The hint says 'Final velocity equals the initial velocity plus the product of acceleration due to gravity (g) multiplied by the time.' I kept getting the incorrect answer of 54m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
When going up the pull of the Earth will retard it so put '-9.8'.

Thank You! I got the answer right! But what equation would I use to find the maximum height of the rock?

Last edited:

1. How does the height of a vertically thrown rock affect its trajectory?

The height of a vertically thrown rock does not affect its trajectory. The only factors that affect the trajectory of a vertically thrown rock are the initial velocity and the force of gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a vertically thrown rock?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a vertically thrown rock is h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a vertically thrown rock?

Air resistance does not have a significant effect on the trajectory of a vertically thrown rock. The impact of air resistance is minimal compared to the force of gravity, which is the primary force acting on the rock.

4. Does the mass of a vertically thrown rock affect its trajectory?

The mass of a vertically thrown rock does not affect its trajectory. As long as the initial velocity and launch angle remain constant, the mass of the rock will not impact its trajectory.

5. What is the relationship between the launch angle and the range of a vertically thrown rock?

The range of a vertically thrown rock is maximum when the launch angle is 45 degrees. As the launch angle increases or decreases from 45 degrees, the range decreases. At a launch angle of 90 degrees, the rock will only reach its maximum height and will not travel horizontally at all.