The Parity Operator: Find the average value of the parity.

In summary, you're solving for the average energy of the state, and the parity eigenstates are also among the energy eigenstates.
latnoa

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in the potential energy V(x)= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] mω2x2
. The ground-state wave function is
[itex]\psi[/itex]0(x)=([itex]\frac{a}{π}[/itex])1/4e-ax2/2
and the first excited-state wave function is
[itex]\psi[/itex]1(x)=([itex]\frac{4a^3}{π}[/itex])1/4e-ax2/2
where a = mω/[itex]\hbar[/itex]

What is the average value of the parity for the state

ψ(x)=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]0(x)+ [itex]\frac{1-i}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]1(x)

Homework Equations

∏[itex]\psi[/itex](x)=[itex]\psi[/itex](-x)
∏[itex]\psi[/itex]λ(x) = [itex]\psi[/itex]λ(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

First off I'm extremely confused on how to approach this to the point of where I don't know what I'm solving for so I'm someone can help me understand the problem and what it's asking me to do.

I just finished reading the parity operator section and all I understand was that ∏ inverts the coordinates of the wave function. I also got that ∏^2 is the identity vector which means that the eigenvalues have to be ±1 and that an even eigenfunction corresponds to 1 while an odd function corresponds to -1 and The eigenfunction of the parity operator form a complete set. That's it from the book but it shows no examples or anything remotely close to what this questions asks.

Am I trying to solve for ∏? Why are the ground state and first state included in this problem? Please help. Anything will be helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
latnoa said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in the potential energy V(x)= [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] mω2x2
. The ground-state wave function is
[itex]\psi[/itex]0(x)=([itex]\frac{a}{π}[/itex])1/4e-ax2/2
and the first excited-state wave function is
[itex]\psi[/itex]1(x)=([itex]\frac{4a^3}{π}[/itex])1/4e-ax2/2
where a = mω/[itex]\hbar[/itex]

What is the average value of the parity for the state

ψ(x)=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]0(x)+ [itex]\frac{1-i}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]1(x)
Your expression for ##\psi_1(x)## is incorrect. There should be a factor of x in there.

First off I'm extremely confused on how to approach this to the point of where I don't know what I'm solving for so I'm someone can help me understand the problem and what it's asking me to do.

I just finished reading the parity operator section and all I understand was that ∏ inverts the coordinates of the wave function. I also got that ∏^2 is the identity vector which means that the eigenvalues have to be ±1 and that an even eigenfunction corresponds to 1 while an odd function corresponds to -1 and The eigenfunction of the parity operator form a complete set. That's it from the book but it shows no examples or anything remotely close to what this questions asks.

Am I trying to solve for ∏? Why are the ground state and first state included in this problem? Please help. Anything will be helpful.
You're being asked to find ##\langle \psi | \hat{\Pi} | \psi \rangle ##.

Think about how you'd calculate the average energy ##\langle \psi | \hat{H} | \psi \rangle ## of the state. You're being asked to do the same sort of calculation except this time with the parity operator instead of the Hamiltonian.

Hint: The energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator are also parity eigenstates.

Use Expansion Coefficients

First off, ##\psi##0 and ##\psi##1 are eigenfunctions of [itex]\Psi[/itex]. You can see their expansion coefficients given in the equation for [itex]\Psi[/itex], I will refer to these as cn

The average value of the parity, or <[itex]\Pi[/itex]> will be Ʃ|cn|2an, where the a's are the eigenvalues of the given eigenfunctions.

To find the eigenvalues use [itex]\prod\psi = a\psi[/itex]

This should simplify the problem quite a bit -- it's actually very straightforward if you approach it this way, and you don't have to deal with any messy integrals.

1. What is the parity operator?

The parity operator is a mathematical operator that determines the symmetry properties of a system. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to understand the behavior of particles.

2. How is the parity operator defined?

The parity operator is defined as a transformation that changes the sign of all spatial coordinates (x, y, z) to their negative values. This means that if a system is mirrored across a plane, the parity operator will change the sign of its spatial coordinates.

3. How is the average value of the parity calculated?

The average value of the parity is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of the parity operator and dividing it by the total number of outcomes. This gives us a measure of the overall symmetry of the system.

4. What does the average value of the parity tell us?

The average value of the parity tells us about the overall symmetry of the system. A value of 1 indicates that the system is symmetric, while a value of -1 indicates that the system is anti-symmetric. Values between 0 and 1 represent varying degrees of symmetry.

5. How is the parity operator used in experiments?

The parity operator is often used in experiments to study the behavior of particles and systems. By measuring the average value of the parity, scientists can gain insight into the symmetries of the system and make predictions about its behavior. It is also used in theoretical calculations and models to understand the properties of particles and their interactions.