Conservation of Angular Momentum Experiment: Moment of Inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where a rotating solid disk and a hollow cylinder were used to test the conservation of angular momentum. The moments of inertia for the ideal situation of the cylinder being centered on the disk were calculated, but the question arises about how to calculate the experimental moment of inertia if the cylinder is off-center. The suggestion of using the parallel axis theorem is mentioned to calculate the moment of inertia in this situation.
chrismoon

Homework Statement

I did a lab where there was a rotating solid disk with mass= 0.915kg and diameter=0.253m.
This was rotating horizontally with an initial angular velocity of 3 different values ω radians/second. After recording the initial angular velocity, I dropped a thin-walled hollow cylinder with mass=0.708kg and diameter=0.125m in the center and measured the final angular velocity, testing the conservation of angular momentum.

Issue: If I placed the ring off center of the disk by say, 1cm (0.01m), how will that affect my moment of inertia?

Homework Equations

Idisk=(1/2)(Mass)(radius)2
Ihoop/hollow cylinder=(Mass)(radius)2
Li=Idiskωdisk initial
Lf=(Idisk+Ihoop/hollow cylindercombined final

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I calculated the moments of inertia-
Idisk=(1/2)(Mass)(radius)2=(1/2)(0.915kg)(0.253m/2)2=0.00732kgm2

Ihoop/hollow cylinder=(Mass)(radius)2=(0.708kg)(0.125m/2)2=0.00277kgm2

Icombined=(0.00732kgm2)+(0.00277kgm2)=0.01009kgm2

The Icombined is for the ideal situation of the ring being completely centered, but I have no idea what I would do to get the experimentally flawed moment of inertia. Would I just change the radius of the hoop/cylinder by 1cm? If so, would I add or subtract? I'm really not sure how I'd calculate it. I understand this all generally pretty well, but executing this has me a little stumped. I need a way to get the new final moment of inertia instead of the ideal (Idisk+Ihoop/hollow cylinder) to calculate a percent error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, chrismoon. Have you studied the "parallel axis theorem"? You can use it to calculate the moment of inertia of the hollow cylinder when it is placed off-center on the disk.

have you used the parallel axis theorem?

ok then...

late again, sorry. Its getting strange how I am right behind Tnsy.

I will now bow out again.

Last edited:

1. What is the conservation of angular momentum experiment?

The conservation of angular momentum experiment is a physics experiment that aims to demonstrate the principle of angular momentum conservation. It involves measuring the moment of inertia of a rotating object and observing how it changes when the object's rotational speed or distribution of mass is altered.

2. Why is the conservation of angular momentum important?

The conservation of angular momentum is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics that is applicable to many different systems, from spinning tops to galaxies. It helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects and can be used to predict their motion.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the conservation of angular momentum?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotational speed. In the conservation of angular momentum experiment, the moment of inertia is important because it affects how much the angular momentum of a rotating object will change when its speed or mass distribution is altered.

4. What factors can affect the moment of inertia in the conservation of angular momentum experiment?

The moment of inertia can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation, and the shape of the object. For example, a longer object will have a larger moment of inertia than a shorter one with the same mass.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum experiment performed?

The conservation of angular momentum experiment involves measuring the moment of inertia of a rotating object using various methods, such as a torsion balance or a rotating disk with known mass and radius. The object's rotational speed and mass distribution can be altered, and the resulting changes in angular momentum can be observed and compared to the initial value, demonstrating the conservation of angular momentum.