Lobbing eggs from a 15ish foot balcony without the eggs breaking while on grass?

• Thread starter Ntstanch
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker describes their childhood experience of throwing eggs and noticing that they would not break when thrown underarm from a height. They experimented with different surfaces and noted that the egg would only break if it encountered a rough surface after rolling to a stop. They speculate that the shape of the egg and its rotation help dissipate the energy upon impact. They also mention finding information on egg tossing and egg drop contests.
Ntstanch
When I was around age twelve I took an egg outside and, holding it horizontally (as it would rest on any flat surface) with a medium underarm thrust, let it roll off my fingers. Reaching above my head and landing nearly 10 feet away from myself before hitting the ground. Only to continue rolling (unless it encountered a large enough rock, or gravel). So, curious, I did this a few times with more intensity using the underarm pitch. Same results.

Then, the curiosity that makes a child smirk took me to the second story of my home on an old balcony with zero safety features (perfect really... railing would have messed things up). After a few tries it was pretty clear that the egg would not break if it landed on normal grass, and would continue to roll. Again, the egg had to be pitched underarm, with emphasis on the rolling as you pulled your arm back and let it go to really get it spinning from 15ish feet off the ground. From there, if the path was clear, it would land about 13-17 feet away on a mostly level surface, then slowly roll to a halt. However, if in the last second of the extra 10-15 foot roll to a stop it encountered concrete or a rough surface, the egg broke like a bubble popping.

While never really giving great deal of thought to why this happened... I suppose my guess would be that the shape of the egg, the contents, and rotation would dissipate the energy something like a free runner (or Parkour runner... participant -- whichever) when he tumbles after a sprinting jump with a considerable descent/tumble landing. However if you scaled a free runners descent and landing to that of the egg it seems as though it would kill the person.

With that, my guess is that the egg acts like the opposite of when vibrations from sound break glass. The shock on the surface of the rotating egg when impacting the grass seems to allow it to absorb the energy and spread it out. A kind of "bouncing back" on the surface of the shell during the initial impact and a tapering off for the initial energy as it rolls to a halt.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was looking into the egg drop contests... did not know throwing eggs was so popular though.

A few notes to add to the OP: The eggs weren't expired or boiled or anything. This house has never had anything besides large grade. Also, the grass was far too short to act as a big catchers mitt. The eggs always rolled considerably, or as far as possible (to the ally) where they would break as soon as they touched the more solid surface.

1. How can I accurately lob an egg from a 15ish foot balcony without it breaking?

To accurately lob an egg without it breaking, you will need to understand the physics of projectile motion and apply it to your egg lobbing. This includes calculating the initial velocity and angle of launch, as well as taking into account air resistance and other external factors. Practicing with different launching techniques can also help improve accuracy.

2. What kind of egg should I use for this experiment?

For this experiment, it is best to use raw chicken eggs as they are a common and affordable option. However, if you are looking for a more durable option, you can try using plastic eggs filled with a substance of similar weight and consistency to a raw egg.

3. How do I prevent the eggs from breaking upon landing on the grass?

To prevent the eggs from breaking on impact, you can try using a soft landing surface such as a bed of grass or a cushioned mat. Additionally, wrapping the eggs in a layer of padding such as bubble wrap or tissue paper can also help absorb the impact and protect the eggs.

4. What is the ideal temperature for lobbing eggs without them breaking?

The ideal temperature for lobbing eggs without them breaking is room temperature, around 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit. Extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can affect the structural integrity of the egg and increase the likelihood of it breaking upon impact.

5. Can I reuse the eggs after they have been successfully lobbed without breaking?

Yes, you can reuse the eggs for multiple lobbing experiments as long as they remain intact and unbroken. However, keep in mind that the structural integrity of the egg can weaken with each launch, so it may be best to use a new egg after a few successful launches.