Quantum Computing: Deciding Between Physics & CS

In summary, if you are interested in working on quantum computers, it would be best to start with studying physics as it will provide a strong foundation for understanding the concepts and programming involved.
ianek
Hey guys,
I´m really interested in Quantum Computers and i´d love to work on them. I´ll have to decide my carreer soon, and i wanted to know what should i study, either Physics or Computer Science? I know that eventually I´ll have to study both...but what makes more sense to you guys?. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

As I studied physics myself, my view may be a bit biased, but I think physics is a better field to begin. Working with the first concepts of quantum computers will require a lot of quantum theory, and "programming" them is a physics task completely different from regular computers, too.

I think this belongs to the Career Guidance forum.

You would want to study physics. Quantum computers work very differently than computers covered in computer science, it's an entirely different idea.

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a field of computing that utilizes principles from quantum mechanics to perform operations on data. It uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can represent multiple states simultaneously and allow for complex calculations to be performed at a much faster rate compared to classical computers.

2. What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to significantly impact various industries such as finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. It can be used for tasks such as drug discovery, optimization problems, and encryption, among others.

3. What is the difference between quantum computing and classical computing?

Quantum computing operates on the principles of quantum mechanics, which allows for superposition and entanglement of qubits. This gives quantum computers the ability to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers. Additionally, quantum computers use different algorithms and hardware compared to classical computers.

4. Is quantum computing the future of computing?

While quantum computing has the potential to significantly enhance computing capabilities, it is still a developing field and has yet to reach its full potential. It is likely that quantum computing will be used in conjunction with classical computing in the future, with each serving different purposes.

5. What are the challenges facing quantum computing?

One of the main challenges facing quantum computing is the fragility of qubits, which can easily be disturbed and result in errors. This makes it difficult to maintain the stability and accuracy of calculations. Additionally, the hardware and software for quantum computing are still in the early stages of development, making it a costly and complex field.