Confusion with Electric Potential/Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three fixed charges with different values and coordinates. The question is how to find the electric potential energy of this configuration. The two methods discussed are using V = 8.99*10^9(q/r) and U = 8.99*10^9(q1*q2)/(distance from q1 to q2), and the potential energy of each pair of charges can be added together to find the total potential energy. The answer is approximately -4.5e-5 J.
sisigsarap
There is a problem I am finding quite confusing:

Two particles, with charges of 20.0 nC and -20.0nC, are placed at the points with coordinates (0,4.00cm) and (0,-4.00cm). A particle with charge 10.0 nC is lcoated at the origin. Find the electric potential energy of the configuration of the three fixed charges.

I am having difficulty understanding the last sentence. For electric potential energy I thought I would use V = 8.99*10^9(q/r) , where I would sum up each charge? For example:

V1 = 8.99*10^9(20nC/4cm) V2 = 8.99*10^9(-20nC/4cm) V3=8.99*10^9(10/0)

Then the Electric potential energy would be V1 + V2 + V3 = 0?

Or would I use U = 8.99*10^9(q1*q2)/(distance from q1 to q2)

and follow the same procedure?

I am very confused with the question and what the book refers to as potential energy and electrical potential??

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sisigsarap said:
Two particles, with charges of 20.0 nC and -20.0nC, are placed at the points with coordinates (0,4.00cm) and (0,-4.00cm). A particle with charge 10.0 nC is lcoated at the origin. Find the electric potential energy of the configuration of the three fixed charges.
Since the electric potential, V, is the potential energy per unit charge it is a scalar quantity that is a function of the separation and the charge. Since it is directionless, potentials can just be added together.

[tex]V = U/q = \int_\infty ^R \frac{kQ}{r^2}dr = \frac{kQ}{R} - 0[/tex]

[tex]U = Vq = \frac{kQq}{R}[/tex]

In order to find the total potential energy, take the potential energy of each pair of charges and add them up (be careful with the signs).

The answer, I think, is -4.5e-5 J.

AM

The confusion you are experiencing is understandable as electric potential and potential energy are closely related concepts. Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. In other words, it is the amount of electric potential energy that would be experienced by a unit charge if placed at that point.

In this problem, you are asked to find the electric potential energy of the configuration of three fixed charges. This means you need to find the total amount of energy required to assemble the three charges in this specific arrangement.

To do this, you can use the equation U = k(q1*q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99*10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles and r is the distance between them. You would need to calculate the potential energy for each pair of charges (q1 and q2, q1 and q3, q2 and q3) and then add them together to get the total potential energy of the system.

Alternatively, you can also use the equation V = k(q/r), where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge and r is the distance. In this case, you would need to calculate the electric potential at each point where a charge is located and then add them together to get the total potential energy of the system.

In summary, electric potential and potential energy are related but not the same. Electric potential is a measure of potential energy per unit charge, while potential energy is the total amount of energy required to assemble a system of charges in a specific arrangement. I hope this helps clarify your confusion.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a charged particle possesses per unit charge.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that measures the electric potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in space, while electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field.

How do you calculate electric potential?

Electric potential can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle. The equation is V = U/q, where V is electric potential, U is electric potential energy, and q is the charge of the particle.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V). This is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This means that the electric potential energy is negative, indicating that the potential energy of the charged particle has decreased as it moves in the direction of the electric field.