Capacitors are charged, disconnected from battery, and had plates swit

In summary, after connecting the positive plate of one capacitor to the negative plate of the other and vice versa, the potential difference in both will be 2.4 volts.
penguinnnnnx5

Homework Statement

Capacitors C1=13μF and C2=21μF are each charged to 10V, then disconnected from the battery without changing the charge on the capacitor plates. The two capacitors are then connected in parallel, with the positive plate of C1 connected to the negative plate of C2 and vice versa.

Homework Equations

Q=CV
Ceq = C1 + C2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ceq = C1 + C2
Ceq = 34μF

Q=C/V

Q1= 13μF*10V = 130μC

Q2= 21μF*10V = 210μC

In the new C1, the positive plate should be 130 μC and the negative -210μC.
In the new C2, the positive plate should be 210μC and the negative -130 μC.

I'm not sure what to do after this.

I have Googled the problem and have found a Yahoo Answers thread with the correct method, but I'm not sure why the method was correct. If someone can explain his steps and/or help me with the next step, then that would be great.

Edit: I think I may have figured it out. Is he taking the net charge of each capacitor, multiplying it with the first capacitor (to find the charge of the new C1) and dividing by Ceq because the net charge divided by Ceq is equal to the new value for V? Which is basically taking the fraction of one capacitor over the total capacitance and finding the charge in that one capacitor? And because in a parallel, voltage is the same in both capacitors? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully it does?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What is the question at all?

ehild

I'm sorry, I forgot to state the questions. It's just asking for the charges in each of the capacitors after connecting the positive plate of one to the negative plate of the other and vice versa, then the potential difference in both.

OK, your method looks correct. What voltage and charges have you got?

ehild

~31 microCoulombs for Q1 and ~49 microCoulombs for Q2.

V1 = V2 = V = 2.4 volts.

Correct!

ehild

1. How do capacitors store charge?

Capacitors store charge by separating positive and negative charges on their two plates. When connected to a battery, the positive plate accumulates positive charge and the negative plate accumulates negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy in the form of electrical potential energy.

2. Why do we disconnect capacitors from a battery after they are charged?

We disconnect capacitors from a battery after they are charged to prevent any further flow of charge. If the capacitor remains connected to the battery, it will continue to accumulate charge until the battery is drained. Disconnecting the battery stops the flow of charge and allows the capacitor to retain its stored energy.

3. Can capacitors be charged without a battery?

Yes, capacitors can be charged without a battery. They can be charged using other sources of electrical energy, such as power supplies or generators. However, the process of charging a capacitor without a battery is more complex and requires a circuit with specific components to regulate the flow of charge.

4. What happens to the plates of a capacitor when it is charged?

When a capacitor is charged, the positive plate accumulates positive charge and the negative plate accumulates negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy in the form of electrical potential energy. The plates themselves do not physically change, but the distribution of charges on them changes, leading to the storage of energy.

5. What is the purpose of switching the plates of a capacitor?

The purpose of switching the plates of a capacitor is to change the polarity of the electric field between the plates. This can be done to discharge the capacitor, or to reverse the direction of the electric field in the capacitor. In some circuits, switching the plates of a capacitor at specific times can also be used to control the flow of charge and create various electrical effects.