Does Anyone Else's College Suck?

• Thread starter RageSk8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, a group of college students discuss their experiences at various universities. One student complains about their college being boring and easy, while others encourage them to make the most of their time there and find ways to have fun. They also suggest challenging themselves academically and making good friends. They discuss different activities and opportunities available at college, such as parties, cultural events, and outdoor activities. They also mention the differences between college and high school and the importance of finding a good fit for oneself.
RageSk8
I haven't been around here much in the past months due to work (construction), preparing to go to college, and getting situated at college. Now that I have spent a few weeks in the dorms and going to class I can honestly say that my college (UC Irvine) sucks. It is better than being at home, under the constant supervision of conservative parents, but "all in all" it is quite the disappointment. There is very little to do. Sure, I have gone to a few parties and gotten wasted but they weren't that great, I had gone to better parties in high school. What the hell gives? The campus empties on the weekends as most students (even those in the dorms) go home. On top of the pathetic quietness of my school, the classes are incredibly easy and astoundingly boring. Jesus Christ…. Anyone else disappointed with their college experiences?

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to college at Weber State University, then Southern Oregon State College, then University of Nevada, Reno, then Boise State University, then Mesa community college. And if I learned anything it was that college is pretty much what you make of it. Quit *****in' about not having fun, and go out and have some fun. You are surrounded by 15,000 college kids don't tell me that you can't find something to do. You are surrounded by people from all over the world, try talking to them. Try going to the girl's dorm and getting laid.
Classes are too easy? Take the CLEP tests and skip the easy classes. Sign up for something in the 300 or 400s.
I know you are looking for someone to join in and complain about their school, but I got to tell you I'd much rather go back to school than work everyday.
If school is still so bad for you, quit. Don't bring everyone else down with your bad attitude. Go get yourself an exciting job as a roofer. Then you can write a post called "Does anyone else's job suck"

tribdog is absolutely right...college is much different then high school socially...give it some time, meet some people, you can have the best time of your life there with your independence but little responsibility (except for your school work)...

btw trib...SOSC rocks! it is now SOU...

Originally posted by RageSk8
I haven't been around here much in the past months due to work (construction), preparing to go to college, and getting situated at college. Now that I have spent a few weeks in the dorms and going to class I can honestly say that my college (UC Irvine) sucks. It is better than being at home, under the constant supervision of conservative parents, but "all in all" it is quite the disappointment. There is very little to do. Sure, I have gone to a few parties and gotten wasted but they weren't that great, I had gone to better parties in high school. What the hell gives? The campus empties on the weekends as most students (even those in the dorms) go home. On top of the pathetic quietness of my school, the classes are incredibly easy and astoundingly boring. Jesus Christ…. Anyone else disappointed with their college experiences?

You're kidding me right? Ok there is so much to do in orange county it's pathetic. You got all the bars down in newport, you have a cultural area in laguna, disneyland, you can learn to surf, go pick up chicks at the beach(which is like 10 minutes from UCI). IF you have a car you can drive up to LA for clubs, and stuff. San diego is an hour from you, and Tiajuana is an hour and a half- big bear mountain is 3 hours, VEGAS is 4 hours. There are more hot women than you can trip over in a day.. Tell me when to stop here, because I can go on until I'm blue in the face. If you say there's nothing to do, then you must not have left your dorm room yet.

The classwork will get tougher. Most schools have "culling" courses. One course fresman year to scare off those who don't belong in the school, and one later to deter those who are in the wrong major. From reading your posts, I'm not at all suprised to see you had no problem with the former.

Eventually, as you get deeper into your major, there will be opportunities to test yourself. Getting an 'A' might always be easy for you (I wish I had such troubles), but there are more challenges than getting good grades. I remember one history course that was disappointingly easy. I decided to take an opposing viewpoint to most of what the professor taught just to spice things up. One thing I learned, professors love spirited debate from students, provided the students don't win!

Njorl

Well, my college, Furman, kind of sucked sometimes, but now I'm a graduate student at the University of Georgia, and this school freaking rocks. Well, it's probably better for guys than girls because it's about 70% girls here. About 85% of the girls are really hot, too.

Originally posted by Kerrie

btw trib...SOSC rocks! it is now SOU...

Yeah, it did. I just wish I wouldn't have gotten kicked out of the dorms. What a beautiful town though. I don't think I've ever seen another town that was as clean. No litter anywhere. Say what you want about old hippies, but you can't say they don't take care of the environment. I also must say that I've never seen another town where the population gets cut in half after it rains, because so many people head out to pick mushrooms.
They really turn Halloween into a fun holiday as well.

Don't expect college to be like Animal House.
Do find some good friends and throw your own parties.
Don't trudge through standard coursework.
Do challange yourself.

FWIW, I found college-life to be much improved once I left the dorms sophomore year and got an apartment. The social life was off-campus as much as it was on-campus.

The college I'm going to is a "community college" and it catches everybody by surprise because it's a very difficult school.

Working 18 hours in the Math Lab and as a Physics tutor require me to make use of every spare hour.

Believe me, I'm not bored!

Well, my college, Furman, kind of sucked sometimes, but now I'm a graduate student at the University of Georgia, and this school freaking rocks. Well, it's probably better for guys than girls because it's about 70% girls here. About 85% of the girls are really hot, too.

I'll be transferring to UGA pretty soon. I've heard about the famous male-female ratio and I heard they also have really pretty Indian girls there too :wink:

But I really just want to get my degree (still, socialization isn't bad or anything).

1. Why do people think their college sucks?

People may think their college sucks for a variety of reasons. Some common reasons include feeling like the education is not up to par, not having a good social experience, or feeling like the campus culture does not align with their values.

2. How can I tell if my college sucks before I attend?

Researching the college beforehand can give you an idea of whether or not it may be a good fit for you. Look at campus culture, academic programs, and student reviews to get a sense of the overall environment. Additionally, visiting the campus and talking to current students can give you a better understanding of what the college is like.

3. Is it normal to feel like my college sucks?

It is not uncommon for college students to feel dissatisfied with their college experience at times. It is important to remember that everyone's experience is different and it is okay to have ups and downs. It may be helpful to talk to a counselor or trusted advisor if you are feeling consistently unhappy with your college.

4. What should I do if I think my college sucks?

If you are feeling unhappy with your college, there are a few steps you can take. First, try talking to a counselor or trusted advisor about your concerns. They may be able to offer advice and support. You can also look into transferring to a different college if you feel that is the best option for you. Lastly, try getting involved in different activities and clubs on campus to improve your overall experience.

5. How can I make the most of my college experience if I feel like it sucks?

There are several things you can do to improve your college experience. First, try to focus on the positives and find things that you enjoy about your college. You can also try getting involved in different activities and clubs to meet new people and find a sense of community. Additionally, setting goals and finding a support system can help you stay motivated and make the most of your college experience.