Are Bush's slime mold beetles named after political figures?

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
In summary, entomologists Quentin Wheeler and Kelly B. Miller named three newly discovered species of slime-mold beetles after President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and Defense Secretary Rumsfeld. This was done as a form of honor, although the political affiliations of the beetles are unknown. The idea of naming a bug after the President sparked some discussion and differing opinions.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
just had to share this...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/14/bush.beetle.ap/index.html

Entomologists Quentin Wheeler and Kelly B. Miller, who recently had the task of naming 65 newly discovered species of slime-mold beetles, named three species after the president, vice president and defense secretary.
The monikers: Agathidium bushi Miller and Wheeler, Agathidium cheneyi Miller and Wheeler, and Agathidium rumsfeldi Miller and Wheeler.

Ironically, they did it to honor the Pres. et al.
I wonder if the beetles are Republican.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
:rofl:If they aren't then I hope they aren't offended!:rofl:

An entomologist is someone who studies bugs right? :bugeye:

Why would you want to honour the President by naming a bug after him? I wonder what he thinks about it. :rolleyes:

Gary Larson, author of the Far Side, had a bug named after him. I read it in one of his books

misskitty said:
Why would you want to honour the President by naming a bug after him? I wonder what he thinks about it. :rolleyes:
Bush doesn't even deserve to be named after a bug. :grumpy:

If they were doing it to seriously "honor" him and like Bush... man... how bout a plaque or a letter of thanks or ... something not a bug :D

What is Bush's slime mold beetle?

Bush's slime mold beetle, also known as Agathidium bushi, is a species of small beetle that was discovered in 2005 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in the United States. It belongs to the family Leiodidae and is named after former US President George W. Bush.

How was Bush's slime mold beetle discovered?

Bush's slime mold beetle was discovered by scientists when they were collecting slime molds in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was identified as a new species based on its unique physical characteristics and genetic analysis.

What is the significance of Bush's slime mold beetle?

Bush's slime mold beetle is significant because it is the first species to be named after George W. Bush, who was the US President at the time of its discovery. It also serves as an indicator of the rich biodiversity found in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

What does Bush's slime mold beetle look like?

Bush's slime mold beetle is a small, shiny black beetle that measures about 1.5 millimeters in length. It has a distinct, flattened head and a cylindrical body with short, clubbed antennae. Its unique physical characteristics make it easily distinguishable from other beetle species.

Is Bush's slime mold beetle endangered?

Currently, there is not enough information to determine the conservation status of Bush's slime mold beetle. However, it is believed that the species may be at risk due to its small population size and limited habitat range. Further research and monitoring are needed to fully understand the beetle's conservation status.