New Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey 2014 TV Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming premiere of the new Cosmos TV series and the possibility of it being a reboot of the original 1980 series with Carl Sagan. The conversation also touches on the use of CGI and computer animations in the new series and the announcement of a marathon of the original series before the premiere. There is also mention of a reboot of a different science fiction series called Space 1999 and how the new Cosmos series will be available for online streaming. The conversation also expresses opinions on the trailer and the choice of network for the show, as well as some early criticisms and praises for the first episode. Some specific topics discussed include the use of graphics and music, the overview of scientific concepts in the first episode, and
It's available in 180 countries.

Fox Networks Group today announced its first ever cross-network global premiere event — for Seth MacFarlane‘s passion project, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, on Sunday, March 9, 9-10 PM ET/PT. In addition to premiering on the 10 U.S. networks simulcasting the premiere episode — Fox Broadcasting Company, National Geographic Channel, FX, FXX, FXM, FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo and FOX Life — and on the Fox International Channels and National Geographic Channels International, as previously announced, Cosmos will premiere on all 90 National Geographic Channels in 180 countries, as well as 120 Fox-branded channels in 125 countries, making this the largest global launch ever for a television series. Rolling out immediately after the U.S. premiere, international markets will begin airing the premiere episode day and date on both Fox-branded and National Geographic Channels, concluding within one week of the domestic premiere event. The additional 12 episodes will air exclusively on National Geographic Channels outside the U.S.
So you'll need access to either one of Fox or Nat Geo's international stations.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/fox...cetime-odyssey-in-181-countries-220-channels/

Likes 1 person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Anyone know what the deal is with the cosmo calendar of events in the final 2/3 of the show? Neil says something like the birth of the Earth was on March 15th, life walked out of the sea on June 19th and the first flower bloomed on June 20th etc etc. What is all that about?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone know what the deal is with the calendar of events in the final 2/3 of the show? Neil says something like the birth of the Earth was on March 15th, life walked out of the sea on June 19th and the first flower bloomed on June 20th etc etc. What is all that about?

He assumed that the time from the start of the universe to now is one full year. So the big bang happened at january first, and now is december 31th midnight.

micromass said:
He assumed that the time from the start of the universe to now is one full year. So the big bang happened at january first, and now is december 31th midnight.

Got it, thanks! :)

Seth MacFarlane says Cosmos is "Entertainment with a goal". A lot of people will instantly have a problem with that. However, for the general public it's exactly what they need to be inspired and have their minds opened. I trust the talent behind the show and the first episode was quite good. Science needs this general audience exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5xqQpZp8Q

TV already has the like of Kaku and Morgan Freeman on the science channel to name the planets with a nice light show to interest the young or those otherwise completely ignorant of science On prime-time TV I understand the networks would not forgo that audience in pursuit of narrower demographic.

But here, in this particular case, we have Tyson who has the rare gift of being a superb communicator *of* science, is also in fact a quality scientist, like his predecessor Sagan. So I was expecting, or hoping, for more depth beyond the light show.

Greg Bernhardt said:
... Science needs this general audience exposure.
Right, but what science was exposed? Sun plus eight planets, plus Pluto, plus the Oort cloud, makes a solar system; so many SS make a galaxy, so many galaxies a cluster, so many clusters make, etc.

I did like the history. When the narration intro to the astronomical history started I expected the cliche ... Copernicus, Galileo, not Bruno who, given what's know today, had the more interesting vision to my mind. I expect that choice (by Tyson, Druyan?) was making a point.

Hi mheslep,

I'm not seeing how this:
mheslep said:
...I was expecting, or hoping, for more depth...
follows from this:
mheslep said:
... On prime-time TV I understand the networks would not forgo that audience in pursuit of narrower demographic.

If you knew the major networks would prefer accessibility to depth, were you hoping Fox would be the exception?

mheslep said:
Right, but what science was exposed? Sun plus eight planets, plus Pluto, plus the Oort cloud, makes a solar system; so many SS make a galaxy, so many galaxies a cluster, so many clusters make, etc.

Too much and you lose people. You start talking technical and the general public changes the channel to The Simpsons. The show is meant to capture attention and inspire.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Seth MacFarlane says Cosmos is "Entertainment with a goal". A lot of people will instantly have a problem with that. However, for the general public it's exactly what they need to be inspired and have their minds opened. I trust the talent behind the show and the first episode was quite good. Science needs this general audience exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5xqQpZp8Q

Nurturing the world's interest at large is beneficial to science. People at large have influence in the budget that is given to NASA,NSF, and other organizations.

I just wish that some other physics would get some airtime. The public at large seems to display these two equalities

Physics = Space
Science Funding = NASA funding

jesse73 said:
I just wish that some other physics would get some airtime. The public at large seems to display these two equalities

Physics = Space
Science Funding = NASA funding

Try pitching a documentary on hydrodynamics to Fox. This is about as good as it gets for major network. It still only got a 2.9 rating with 8.5 million viewers. My guess is that even this broad and flashy series will be seen by the networks as a moderate failure.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Try pitching a documentary on hydrodynamics to Fox. This is about as good as it gets for major network. It still only got a 2.9 rating with 8.5 million viewers. My guess is that even this broad and flashy series will be seen by the networks as a moderate failure.

It depends on demographics but beautiful images arent restricted to space.

http://vimeo.com/87342468

There is also an interested public because you do see these type of videos get popular. The reason it is not on TV has less to presentation/content and more to do with it not being an existing formula.

Cosmos wouldn't be on TV if it wasnt an established formula because of Carl Sagan.

mheslep said:

He also mentioned the biggie bangie (and hinted at the multiverse hypothese(s)). But I do agree, it was a little thin. Yet it felt like an introduction to the cosmos. Hopefully it will go a little bit deeper in the upcoming episodes. But I am picky - however it turns out, there will likely be something I will criticise. :biggrin:

Last edited:
lisab said:
1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says
Excellent point :thumbs:. It makes you think about the importance of the spreading of basic science, actually. (again, with "basic" I mean, not too deep and detailed - but it surely isn't easy to "hit the right note", I suppose.

Last edited:
Dembadon said:
Hi mheslep,

I'm not seeing how this:

follows from this:If you knew the major networks would prefer accessibility to depth, were you hoping Fox would be the exception?
I was hoping that Tyson could be, yes, on whatever forum.

I've seen him speak to crowds in person before and choose analogies in answer to questions about science that were common and available to everyone, yet clear and correct to a deep level. That's not easy to do. Feynman had the gift, here on Aunt Minnie ...

Another example: history. Most of what's available on air is dry or shallow, but occasionally a talent like Ken Burns comes along. He takes a still B&W photo and a little music and he brings an entire long past era to life like nothing seen before, where every original bit of research offered on air by the scholars only makes the topic more personal, real.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Too much and you lose people. You start talking technical and the general public changes the channel to The Simpsons. The show is meant to capture attention and inspire.
Depends on how its told. Would this clip lose people because it is too technical? I say no, and he has no space ship.:wink:

DennisN said:
He also mentioned the biggie bangie (and hinted at the multiverse hypothese(s)). ...
Yep, thanks, I'd forgotten.

1 In 4 Americans Thinks

1 in how many NPR news reporters can does grammar?

AlephZero said:

The subject of "thinks" is "one," so the s is warranted.

AlephZero said:
can does? :D is that proper English?

lendav_rott said:
can does? :D is that proper English?

Its a proper joke.
:smile:

P.S. I don't envy the one American who is inside the other four...

Enigman said:
It's a proper joke.

While we're on about grammar.

:biggrin::wink:

Ultimately, we will be able to judge the quality and impact of the show in a somewhat more objective fashion, by the volume and quality of questions asked on PF beginning with: "In his Cosmos series, NDGT said...".

Just stumbled upon this interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson on the new Cosmos series (I'm about to watch it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3G2ezt9R0
EDIT: I enjoyed it :smile:.

Last edited:
Algr said:
And a pity about the music - it's very generic TV cinema stuff. The original soundtrack was so striking.

I agree. The original soundtrack included "Heaven And Hell - Part 1" by Vangelis. I remember seeing a tv interview with Sagan back in the 80's where he talks about the reason behind the selection. There was a physics reason but I cannot remember what it was. I've been googling but cannot find a reference. Of course the original soundtrack is beautiful and fits the theme very well, but I wish I could remember or find a reference to Sagan's physics reason for selecting it. I'll report back if I find it.

I enjoyed the first episode of the new series. I'm glad they brought back the calendar scale of the time span between the big bang and present. I hope they bring back some of my other favorite segments from the original series.

Greg Bernhardt said:
How was the second show tonight?

Absolutely outstanding. Without ever mentioned the word "creationism" he utterly demolished it.

The show was basically all about evolution. Really terrific.

phinds said:
Absolutely outstanding. Without ever mentioned the word "creationism" he utterly demolished it.

Great! Waiting for amazon to get the episode up! :)

phinds said:

Agreed. Great episode!

is it on tonight? what time and channel?

Physics_UG said:

It's on Sunday nights

Physics_UG said:
It's on Fox on Sunday night and on National Geographic on Monday nights. It's on tonight on Nat Geo at 9PM CST.

You can also watch all episodes online at http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515