Acid Deposition: Evidence for Impact on Local Ecosystems

In summary, the strongest evidence in support of a scientist's contention that a local area is experiencing acid deposition would be an increase in the concentration of soluble heavy metals in a local pond. This is due to the potential for leaching of acidic or neutral metal ions from bedrock, which can be harmful to organisms and cause rapid die-offs. While other evidence such as an increase in photosynthesis or a sudden fish kill may be present, they are less likely to be directly caused by acid deposition.
Soaring Crane
Which of the following would be the strongest evidence in support of a scientist's contention that a local area was experiencing acid deposition?

1. An increase in the rate of photosynthesis of aquatic plants in a local lake
2. A sudden die-off of all the fish in a local stream
3. A gradual increase in temp. of local lake
4. Increase in concentration of soluable heavy metals in local pond

For some reason, I think the answer is 4. If the acid deposition is serious enough, organisms can die quite rapidly as a result of Al,Hg, or other metal ions from leaching in the bedrock, which can be acidic or neutral.

Is this wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Anyone? Please?

Thanks again.

I would have to agree with you, but let's check the other choices to possibly eliminate them. A: increased photosynthesis- the most likely explanation for this happening would be the influx of more nutrients to the system, ie. local use of fertilizer, livestock runoff, etc. This should effectively increase the overall amount of photosynthesis (maybe the rate too, I'm not sure about the kinetics of that process,orifthe question is even considering rate vs amount). B: sudden fish kill- it would take a lot of acid to kill off all the fish in a typical pond, probably more than would occurr in the early stages of acidification. C: temp increase- I can't see any potential relationship between acidification and temp. :bugeye: Which leaves "D", the increase of soluble metals. I still think I like that one the best. My next choice would be "B", but it seems less likely.

What is acid deposition?

Acid deposition, also known as acid rain, is a form of precipitation that contains high levels of sulfuric and nitric acids. These acids are formed when sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, primarily released from burning fossil fuels, react with water, oxygen, and other chemicals in the atmosphere. Acid deposition can occur in the form of rain, snow, fog, or even dry particles.

What are the main causes of acid deposition?

The main causes of acid deposition are human activities, such as burning fossil fuels for energy and transportation, and industrial processes that emit sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides. Natural sources, such as volcanoes and wildfires, also contribute to acid deposition, but to a lesser extent.

What are the effects of acid deposition on the environment?

Acid deposition can have a negative impact on the environment. It can lower the pH of soil and water bodies, making them more acidic and harmful to plants and aquatic life. It can also damage buildings, statues, and other structures made of stone or metal. Additionally, acid deposition can contribute to the formation of smog and respiratory issues in humans.

How can we reduce acid deposition?

Reducing acid deposition involves implementing policies and technologies that decrease the emissions of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides. This can include using cleaner energy sources, such as renewable energy, and implementing pollution control technologies in industries. Individual actions, such as using public transportation or carpooling, can also help reduce acid deposition.

Is acid deposition a global issue?

Yes, acid deposition is a global issue that can affect not only the areas where it is produced, but also areas downwind where the acidic precipitation can be carried by wind currents. It is important for countries to work together to reduce emissions and mitigate the effects of acid deposition on the environment.