Tilapia trash fish - raised on feces

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: The garbage fish isn't picky with its eating habits. That makes it cheap to farm and buy, but a big health risk to consumers who don't check its country of origin.As fish go, tilapia's lifestyle leaves much to be desired.They're a "garbage fish" in every sense of the word. They can survive in hopelessly polluted environments, they can be bred and raised in garbage cans and, when necessary, can subsist on a diet of other animals' excrement. It makes Tilapia so easily farmed that Americans eat close to 500 million pounds of it a year, according to the Department of Agriculture, or more than four times the amount of
there is something you should know, it is not only Tilapia fish that is fed these kind of dirt. the imported shrimp too and if you read how is the Atlantic salmon is raised and prepared to be sent to consumes you would stop eating fish altogether. Do not forget that pigs eat garbage still no one died because of that. Unless you manage to produce your food by yourself, unfortunately there is no guarantee.

Physics news on Phys.org
I ate tilapia all the time when working in Africa.
People now are getting so fussy with cleanliness in their food - to the extreme - that their immune system and bacterial flora is rubbish and we have countless people with "intolerances" and fat kids with asthama because they don't play in the dirt anymore. We need to remember that humans are scavengers as well as predators. A bit of dirt is very good for you.

Doctors are now having to transplant feaces into people.

Likes edward
I am set to eat them all if they are cooked well.
Eating them ain't worse than being food poisoned. I once drank a bottle of sour milk that I didn't know it expired and hours later I vomited all over the room; my nostrils got burned by the stomach acid and at the same time I had to rush to the toilet for unpredictable diarrhea.

Last edited:
There is a commercial fish food out now that floats. That should help clean up the issue. In the wild I have seen a number of species of fish eat wherever the food was. The idea behind the floating fish food was meat to give commercial growers a better idea of just how much the fish are eating.