Blood moon Total Eclipse tonight

In summary: You may have given up waiting too soon. You don't see the full effect with the naked eye until you completely lose the bright crescent in your last picture. A camera can deal with the huge range of brightness better than your eyes...I couldn't see the color either until I took my last picture. But I'm really glad I got to see it. Totality was pretty amazing.I couldn't see the color either until I took my last picture. But I'm really glad I got to see it. Totality was pretty amazing.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This will be the first total lunar eclipse of 2014. Unlike a total eclipse of the sun, which often requires a long journey to the path of totality, an eclipse of the moon can usually be observed from one's own backyard. The passage of the moon through the Earth's shadow is equally visible from all places within the hemisphere where the moon is above the horizon.

http://www.space.com/25487-total-lunar-eclipse-blood-moon-brightness.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For me, partial eclipse starts at 10:59 pm, totality at 12:08 am.

It was sunny when I walked my grade 2 daughter to school this morning, so I demonstrated what is going to happen. I told her that I was the Earth and that she was the Moon, and I stood so that my shadow fell on her. She wants me to get her up to see it. She said "If I won't get up, tickle me until I do!"

George Jones said:
For me, partial eclipse starts at 10:59 pm, totality at 12:08 am.

It was sunny when I walked my grade 2 daughter to school this morning, so I demonstrated what is going to happen. I told her that I was the Earth and that she was the Moon, and I stood so that my shadow fell on her. She wants me to get her up to see it. She said "If I won't get up, tickle me until I do!"
Aw, how sweet! You've got a little scientist there. I can't believe how fast she's growing up!

I forgot to say this is mostly in North America.

Evo said:

:frown:

Evo said:

It will also be the first of four, a 'tetrad', to occur about every six months in 2014 and 2015. Interesting factoid, there were no blood moon tetrads between the years 1600 and 1900. :bugeye:

People who say that omit to say that there several during the 1900s and there will be several more this century and in the next.

D H said:
People who say that omit to say that there several during the 1900s and there will be several more this century and in the next.

I guess I shouldn't mind being characterized as "people who say that." :wink:

You're right, of course. I think that's a part of what makes the three-century gap so significant.

Lunar Eclipse Time!

Lunar Eclipse, starting now!

Go outside and gaze at as I pull a magic trick and make the Moon disappear right before your eyes!

First time seeing one... I've got visual on it right now... and it looks awesome! :!)

I hope to see the so called "red" in a few more minutes. :biggrin:

Psinter said:
First time seeing one... I've got visual on it right now... and it looks awesome! :!)

I hope to see the so called "red" in a few more minutes. :biggrin:

It'll probably be more like half an hour until that happens...

Last edited:
OMG Give me back my moon! ._.

yuck, clouds are way too thick in Auckland

Nice here. Totality is over now.

I got these (pretty crappy) photos from my rooftop in the middle of Hollywood:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68669&stc=1&d=1397552441.png

It was impossible to see the color with my eyes, due to the light pollution, but the camera picked it up. These shots were done with DSLR + 180mm lens + 2x teleconverter + nice tripod. I wish I had a telescope, I could probably get much nicer shots that way.

Attachments

• blood-moon.png
    blood-moon.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 643
Likes 1 person
That was nice. Clear sky where I am. Totality finished a little while ago. Still celebrating, however.

[Edit: Awesome shots Ben!]

Nothing but clouds here. I'm glad that there will be other opportunities.

Well, I didn't manage to see the whole thing, as I have work today and had to sleep, but I managed to catch the beginning of the eclipse and some of the totality. My first lunar eclipse ever!

totally rained out in Sydney :frown:

well done Drak :smile:

lost count of how many I have seen and photo'ed over the years

Dave

Great shots Ben! Thank you!

Unfortunately it was overcast with showers here last night, so I didn't try to wake up to see the eclipse. Maybe I'll have better luck with the next one.

I was able to get up and snap this with my little point-and-shoot. Not even comparable to Ben's photo though.

CgJ0NzU.jpg

Likes 1 person
Ben Niehoff said:
It was impossible to see the color with my eyes, due to the light pollution, but the camera picked it up.

You may have given up waiting too soon. You don't see the full effect with the naked eye until you completely lose the bright crescent in your last picture. A camera can deal with the huge range of brightness better than your eyes can.

Nice Pics Ben. But just think, you have three more possible do over dates in the next two years.

AlephZero said:
You may have given up waiting too soon. You don't see the full effect with the naked eye until you completely lose the bright crescent in your last picture. A camera can deal with the huge range of brightness better than your eyes can.

After the bright crescent vanished we continued to watch for about 20 minutes. It's Hollywood that is too bright.

Also, the camera is less able to handle vast ranges of brightness. The dynamic range of the eye is significantly better than the camera. The problem is that perception of color in the eye is psychological and context-dependent, whereas in the camera it is not. So the camera is able to see the red color even through the light pollution.

edward said:
Nice Pics Ben. But just think, you have three more possible do over dates in the next two years.

In the next two years I will still not be able to afford a telescope, so I am unlikely to get any better shots. Also, I won't be in North America.

What is a blood moon total eclipse?

A blood moon total eclipse occurs when the Earth's shadow blocks the sun's light from reaching the moon, causing the moon to appear reddish in color.

When will the blood moon total eclipse happen tonight?

The exact time of the blood moon total eclipse will vary depending on your location. It is best to check a reliable source for the specific time in your area.

Why is it called a blood moon?

The term "blood moon" comes from the reddish color the moon takes on during a total eclipse. This is caused by the Earth's atmosphere filtering out blue light and allowing red light to pass through and reflect off the moon.

What causes a blood moon total eclipse to occur?

A blood moon total eclipse occurs when the Earth, moon, and sun align in a specific way, with the Earth between the sun and the moon. This alignment causes the Earth's shadow to fall on the moon, creating the eclipse.

Do I need special equipment to view the blood moon total eclipse?

No special equipment is needed to view a blood moon total eclipse, as it can be seen with the naked eye. However, using binoculars or a telescope can enhance the viewing experience.