Fourier series of a lineer function

In summary, The conversation is about using Fourier expansion to solve a function and there have been some issues and confusion regarding the process. The function in question is f(x) = x in the interval (-1,1) and the goal is to find its Fourier series. However, there have been difficulties in finding the correct coefficients and getting the graph to match the original function. The conversation also mentions a function in the form of e^{-bx^2} that needs to be expanded to Fourier series. There is a debate about whether it is possible to solve this function analytically or not.
gulsen
Hello,

My QP homework involves (not is) Fourier expansion. i think I'm done with the physics part and for the answer, i need to expand a function to Fourier series and solve it. So far well, but I couldn't solve that simple function:

f(x) = x (in -1,1 interval)

I've found various series, but when I graph them, it doesn't match the original function.
I've tried:

[tex]a_0 = \frac{1}{T} \int_0^T {f(x) dx}[/tex]
with T = 4 (well, is it 2 or 4!?), and got 8. similarly
[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{T} \int_0^T{f(x)cos(\frac{2 \pi n}{T}) dx}[/tex]
and evertime I tried to solve, I've just messed it up.
Can someone help?...

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the integration domain screwed up.
Your interval should be (-1,1) not (0,T). Furthermore since your function (x) is odd, a0 and all the cos coefficients will be 0. Your series will have only sin terms.

And on top of that, you shouldn't expect the graph of a Fourier series to match that of the original function. To do that a necessary (but not sufficient!) condition is that you have to include all of the infinitely many terms of the series.

thanks!
I know that I'll need infinite elements to get the original graph. I was just looking for similarity. But what about 1/T? should it be 1/2 or 1/1?

And by the way, there's also a function in the form of [tex]e^{-bx^2}[/tex] that should also be expanded to Fourier series. As far I know, there's no analytic solution for the intergral for that function. So how am I supposed to write a Fourier series?

Regarding [itex]e^{-bx^2}[/itex], do you mean Fourier series or Fourier transform? If the latter then you can certainly do the integration.

I mean Fourier transfrom... well, since there's no analytic integral, it cannot be solved analyitcally?

You certainly can evaluate the integral analytically:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-a x^2 + i k x}dx[/tex]
Just complete the square in the exponential and you essentially have the integral of the Gaussian function for which you can obtain an analytic expression.

1. What is a Fourier series of a linear function?

A Fourier series of a linear function is a mathematical representation of a continuous, periodic function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to approximate any periodic function with a combination of simple sine and cosine waves.

2. How is a Fourier series of a linear function calculated?

A Fourier series of a linear function is calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the function over one period and solving for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms. The number of terms used in the series determines the accuracy of the approximation.

3. Can a Fourier series of a linear function be used to represent non-periodic functions?

No, a Fourier series of a linear function can only be used to represent periodic functions. If a function is non-periodic, its Fourier series would require an infinite number of terms to accurately represent it, making it impractical to use.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series of a linear function?

Fourier series of a linear function has various applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is used to analyze and represent periodic signals and to filter noise from signals. It is also used in solving differential equations and in image compression.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series of a linear function?

Yes, there are limitations to using Fourier series of a linear function. It can only accurately represent functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. It also has difficulty approximating functions with sharp corners or steep slopes.